We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent - train to gruyeres

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent - train to gruyeres

Hi

I am planning to use my saver day pass for tommorow morning.

Please let me know if the below is correct

Geneva to Montreux - Montreux to montbovon- from there to gruyeres spend time in gruyeres -

Train to Bulle and see the village .

5:20pm Return train Bulle - rumont romont - Geneve direct or should I skip Bulle and return from gruyeres -

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Montreux
Montreux
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
12 replies to this topic
Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent - train to gruyeres

You can check for yourself if your assumptions are correct:

www.sbb.ch/en has all the schedules.

This site will tell you the scenic route via Montbovon. (Use the “via” option) and the fastes rote back from Gruyere.

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent - train to gruyeres

Have a look at maps.trafimage.ch - zoom in the region you plan to travel. Great views for instance in Grandvaux area (railway line Romont to Lausanne) over lake and vineyards. Unfortunately, that map does not show bus lines (there is an option for bus lines that seems not to work).

An other option is Bulle to Châtel-Saint-Denis for cutting to Vevey using scenic bus route - postal bus services (excellent) are also covered with Saver Day Pass - see validity map link at https:/…saver-day-pass.html

Weather forecast for today in Gruyères is for rain in the morning, expected to stop slightly after noon according to www.meteoswiss.admin.ch/home.html… - stop already around 9:00 with a possible half hour light precipitation just after 13:00 according to https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/week/gruyères_switzerland_2660463 (use " Show details / hourly data") - with that weather at least the afternoon should be ok, but not really warm with temperatures in a 13-16°C range

In case you are very early on the way for Geneva - Montreux - Montbovon - I would consider a short detour at Montreux for Chillon castle rather than stopping at Bulle (Bulle centre is compact, nice, but nothing outstanding with maybe the "Musée Gruyérien" as an exception). Or at least a short walk from Montreux railway station downstairs to the lakefront before returning to the railway station for taking the train to Montbovon.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 07:15
Mentioned in this post
Lausanne
Lausanne
Saint-Denis
Saint-Denis
Seine-Saint-Denis, France
Vevey
Vevey
Geneva
Geneva
Montreux
Montreux
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent - train to gruyeres

Thank you krist v and jm2cents

Jm2cemts

That map you shared was very helpful to get an idea of where the intermediate stations are . Very nice of you to make such an effort to find out the weather situation for me .

I am planning to take the 10:30 train from Geneva which gets me into gruyeres at 1pm so hoping I should be fine with rain situation . Since one of us have a return flight tomorrow plan to take the 5pm back from gruyeres to Geneva . Which means I have 4 hrs in gruyeres - to cover cheese factory ,take bus to and fro to village , walk to castle and back and eat some stuff you suggested in the other post 😊 I did walk on Montreux water front - beautiful 😊and chillon as part of my trip to rochers . Thanks again

Not sure if I updated -I took your earlier suggestion and bought sunrise with data plan for Italy . It was very helpful . Though in Italy the network seemed to have issues in many parts of Stresa -but that was an issue for my husband roaming us Verizon too.

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Montreux
Montreux
Italy
Italy
Europe
Stresa
Stresa
Lake Maggiore, Italy
Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent - train to gruyeres

Going of title .... had at least once comparable problems with SIM cards in Italy south of Follonica. Internet access worked well every morning, became slower and slower and hardly worked any more the evening - but same problem with Sunrise SIM card (with roaming plan) as well as with the accommodation W-LAN access. So I assume it was less due to GSM network saturation than to insufficient internet backbones.

Plan to use an Italian SIM card on a possible next longer vacation in that region. Sunrise SIM card worked well on my last trip from Switzerland via Locarno, Verbania, Alessandria, Savona to Nice a few weeks ago (but that was very early morning)

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Follonica
Follonica
Province of Grosseto, Italy
Locarno
Locarno
Lake Maggiore, Switzerland
Verbania
Verbania
Lake Maggiore, Italy
Alessandria
Alessandria
Province of Alessandria, Italy
Savona
Savona
Italian Riviera, Italy
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,107 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent - train to gruyeres

In Gruyeres, don't miss:

http://tibetmuseum.info It is tiny but is really worth the stop (on the main village street).

https://www.hrgigermuseum.com/. Giger is Alien's creator.

On the Goldenpass train, consider the 1st class VIP seats: they are below the pilot's cabin, facing the tracks. It's fun. railfaneurope.net/pix/…pix.html

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent - train to gruyeres

Thank you Swiss diver . Have second class day pass which I got for 52 so was a good deal . Will try the museums u mentioned . I do not see any bus numbers or stop names from station to the village on google maps or this forum . Is there any particular bus I need to take ?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
41,599 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent - train to gruyeres

Also a "not to miss" in Gruyères - Cheese Factory (at the station) and the château. Great views from the latter.

Swissdiver is right that the VIP seats in 1st class on the Goldenpasss Panoramic train are superb. Sadly not for you because this train only runs twice a day from Montreux to Zweisimmen and won't fit your timing...

Mentioned in this post
Montreux
Montreux
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent - train to gruyeres

I am taking the mob panoramic 2122. Is that not the same as golden pass

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
41,599 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent - train to gruyeres

MOB = Montreux Oberland Bernois and that company is part of the Goldenpass line. The train you are taking has panoramic cars but not the ones with the VIP seats in 1st class. Those are only available on the 0944 and 1544 trains out of Montreux. Yours is at 1144.

Mentioned in this post
Montreux
Montreux
GoldenPass Line
GoldenPass Line
739 Reviews
Montreux, Switzerland
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Urgent - train to gruyeres

Thank you everyone for your suggestions . Had the best time today . Can't imagine I was planning to ditch the trip altogether .

Actually enjoyed the cold up there .

We took the mob train and the route was very scenic . I got to see my favorite cows . Pity didn't do a farm this trip but maybe next time .

Jm2cents thank you so much for the food recommendation . I ate both the ones you recommended at "Auberge de la Halle". The meringue with double cream and berries is my new fav dessert . The mm portion was huge and only managed to eat 1/8th of it . I found the pearl onions served with fondue to be amusing but it tasted good 😊

I think I will not eat any more food for one year 😊 . How do the locals have so much cheese .

The food here was excellent but the service was very very slow . They took hr and a half of my 4 hr trip in town .

We visited the alien bar , castle grounds and the views were great ,Tibet museum .

We took the bus uphill and walked downhill. There were goats with bells near the tourist office . Just stood and admired then for 10mins.

Did the cheese factory tour at the end . Was good . Had coffee here and found that the meringue dessert was half the price of what I paid for lunch -8$ vs 16$. Well no complaints as I enjoyed eating it .

The tourist desk in town was very helpful . We wanted to manage the chocolate factory but she showed us the timings and said it won't work for us to fit it all in .

The return train was confusing as it said no 50 on both trains which showed up at the same time at 5. Thankfully a very helpful person in the train told us to change before it was too late .

The return journey via palezieux was scenic too. Saw many many cows .

One more day to go before I head to cinque terre and head back home . Swissdiver I was thinking of ur comment on the 8hr train ride and now after such a long holiday - dreading sitting for 8 hrs 😊

Reply to: Urgent - train to gruyeres
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted