We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swiss army knife

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, NZ
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
swiss army knife

Is it any cheaper or better (not sure why apart from nostalgia) to buy a genuine Swiss army knife in Lucerne than anywhere else? We are from New Zealand and going to Italy, Paris and England.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swiss army knife

The Swiss army knife is only produced by two licensed companies: Victorinox and Wenger.

The red ones with the white cross and a lot of practical features are for tourists and don't correspond at all to the real ones, we actually get in the army.

The (high) quality is always the same. The price might be cheaper with big wholesalers (Migros, Coop, Manor) than in tourist shops in Lucerne. So, don't buy on first sight. They are sold at many places, including all tax free airport shops.

I guess, that they are more expensive abroad.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
605 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swiss army knife

Good advice from Müützli.

The Victorinox factory is located in Ibach, between Schwyz and Brunnen (about 30 min from Lucerne). You can't take any tours there but you'll probably get the best prices at their factory outlet. They have the complete sortiment there.

You could do this trip by taking the ferry to Brunnen from Lucerne. Then take the bus to Ibach. Eat at the Mythen Center (Migros) for an inexpensive lunch. Take the bus to Seewen (Schwyz) train station. Take the train back to Lucerne. See SBB.Ch for timetables.

Just a suggestion.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: swiss army knife

I forgot to mention:

Never transport any Swiss army knife in you handluggage or Jacket, not even the very small ones. They will all be confiscated everywhere in the world.

You might hurt the pilot with the corkscrew. :-)

Stoke-on-Trent
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: swiss army knife

I know its been a while since this thread was active but im desperate to get my hands on a decent victorinox jacket, does anyone have any info on where i could get one from thanks

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: swiss army knife

Question on topic:

Where is the Victorinox factory outlet in Ibach?

I can't find any information off of the Victorinox.ch website except for the location of the factory itself. We will be in Schwyz for a morning and afternoon.

Thanks.

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: swiss army knife

Here's the link to the address/opening times of the shop at the Victorinox factory in Ibach. www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm…

Although, if you can't take a tour it hardly seems worth it to trek all the way out there. You can find these knives everywhere here.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
605 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: swiss army knife

You can do a round trip by taking the ferry to Brunnen, the bus to Mythen Center/Victorinox and then take the bus to Seewen and the train back to Schwyz. (Or do this in reverse order.)

Mythen Center is great for shopping. For a cheap lunch, go to the Migros Restaurant in Mythen Center.

There are no tours at Victorinox but the shop is quite nice and has a big selection. You also get 10% (I believe) as a tourist. Hope you'll confirm that price when you come back.

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: swiss army knife

Although I do love the Victorinox brand (always go to the Victorinox outlet in NY), we're in Schwyz passing through.

We're arriving in Zurich Airport in the late afternoon and looked for a small city on the way to Florence that was easy to get to (< one-hour train ride from airport) and was not touristy (Interlaken). For some reason, we settled on Schwyz.

Is Lucerne a better place to stay?

We'd like something that is on a major railway to Florence. And, something that will give us a sense of Swiss-life (non big city).

Any thoughts?

9. Re: swiss army knife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 09:18