We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guidebook for hiking?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
13 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
guidebook for hiking?

I'm planning a 1-week hiking trip to Bernese Oberland for coming summer. The idea is to stay in Grindelwald and make day trips to surrounding area. I have tried to look for a guidebook describing hiking trails and paths/routes but without success. Is this Kev Reynolds' guidebook from 1998 really the latest one:

www.kevreynolds.co.uk/MainContentsPage.Html

I have understood that information is available in Grindelwald tourist office, but I'd like to plan my days and hikes beforehand. It would also help me to choose if rails pass is needed or not.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: guidebook for hiking?

Two more Kev books since then, both up on Amazon:

The Bernese Alps

Tour of the Jungfrau Region

I have a 35+ page guide to the region based on my 16 hiking trips there. Written from a Wengen base but easily translatable to Grindelwald. Speaking of which, Grindelwald is VERY busy and full of busses, cars, and tourists in the summer. Have you considered basing in one of the lovely car free villages up in the mountains (Wengen or Mürren)? Both great bases for hiking trips.

If you would like my guide send me a private message with your email address in the body (your address does not show up automatically)

And, yes, if you do much hiking at all you will be taking trains, lifts, etc. You will want a pass, I like Half Fare Card. 50% off of all travel, good value for the money

Brevard, NC
Level Contributor
14 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: guidebook for hiking?

I like Lonely Planet "Walking in Switzerland". It has a good section on the Bernese Oberland as well as other great hiking locations. I have found that the best website for planning anything Switzerland is http://map.wanderland.ch/. This website is a topo map of Switzerland with selectable features on the left hand margin. Zoom in and you'll find everything--hiking trail routes, trail recommendations, train/bus/boat schedules, cable car/chair lift/funicular schedules and more.

I agree with Kimsanjose. Unless you like shopping and crowds, forget Grindelwald and stay in Wengen or Murren. I stayed in Grindelwald during my first trip and it is overrun with tourists, cars and buses. I stayed in Wengen the second time. It is a delightful car-free village. From Wengen or Murren you can get anywhere and you'll be closer to the best hiking.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: guidebook for hiking?

I have a 2005 edition of the Kev Reynolds book, bought online from cicerone.co.uk, so there are later editions than the one you saw.

You can also buy it in the Stauffacher bookshop in Bern if you are passing through there on the way to the Oberland.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 06:28
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: guidebook for hiking?

I disagree entirely with the advice to avoid Grindelwald. Yes, the main street can be busy but you need only go a hundred yards or so to find peace and quiet. IMO Grindelwald is the best base for walking and, with Murren, has the best views. From Wengen you have a choice of going up to the Lauberhorn/Kleine Scheidegg or down to the Lauterbrunnen valley, while from Grindelwald you can walk in many different directions. The last August week we spent in the area included three days of very heavy rain when it was good to be staying somewhere with quite a range of facilities. Over the last thirty years I have walked hundreds of miles in the area and have always relied on the Wandercarte, maps with details of walks with diagrams, that are available in any bookshop in the area. I still use the one for the Lauterbrunnental that lists 44 walks and cost me 7 francs about 25 years ago.

Eden Prairie...
Level Contributor
28 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: guidebook for hiking?

I have the "Tour of the Jungfrau Region" book by Kev (2009). It describes his recommended trek around the region with the main goal of "choosing the most scenic trails and most atmospheric places for overnight stay." Describes his TJR trails in detail, but it is not a hiking reference for the entire area.

Route starts/ends in Wilderswil and over 10-14 days includes:

Schynige Platte Faulhorn First

Wetterhorn ApliGlen Klein Scheidegg

Stechelbert Obersteinberg

Rotstock Hut Schilthorn

Blumental Lobhorn Hut

Side options include stays at: Gleckstein Hut and Berghaus Baregg instead of Hotel Wetterhorn

In Sep-2013, we are going to follow the first half, then stay in hotels in Wengen and Muerren and do most of the 2nd half as day hikes (and adding an overnight to Obersteinberg).

I'm getting my other hiking info from all my good friends here on TA !

Edited: 13 March 2013, 01:02
uk
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: guidebook for hiking?

Hello, I've been reading your replies with great interest. Could you please send me the walking guide you mention around Grindelwald?

My e mail address is : patrickchuter@gmail.com

Thank you very much, Patrick

singapore
Level Contributor
106 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: guidebook for hiking?

Hi kimsanjose, I'll like a copy of your write up if you don't mind. Am planning for my 1st trip to Switzerland this June and am honestly a tad lost and overwhelmed.

Email is christina_yek@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 17 April 2013, 21:30
San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: guidebook for hiking?

Hi Patrick and Christina,

I have sent you the information. In the future (and for others reading this thread), it is preferably not to post private email addresses on any public forum. Spammers are everywhere these days.

To communicate via Private Message with anyone on the forum, simply click on their screen name underneath the picture ("KimSanJose"). Then look to the left side of the screen and you will see "Send Message". Click on that then enter your text in the dialog box. If information needs to come to you via email (as in the case of my long document), enter your message AND your email address in the dialog box. Many people think the recipient can "see" the sender's email address but that is not the case, you must enter it manually.

9. Re: guidebook for hiking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 12:16