We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Vienna to Grindelwald

Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Vienna to Grindelwald

Hello everyone,

I am planning my honeymoon for this November and have run into an issue which I am hoping someone could provide some advice on.

Currently, our honeymoon is as follows:

Paris 7 nights --> Prague 4 nights --> Vienna 4 nights --> Grindelwald 4 nights --> Italy 9 nights.

The problem that is coming up is that travel time from Vienna to Grindelwald. Our travel agent is telling us that the train takes approximately 10 hours from Vienna to Grindelwald. Has anyone been on this train ride? Is it too long and uncomfortable? We really are not concerned with the cost of the travel (we expect to use 1st class for trains), I just concerned that carrying our luggage and the travel time will be very difficult, especially considering this is the first time we have been to Europe.

Another option is to fly from Vienna to Zurich and then catch a train which will have a combined travel time of about 8 hours (including getting to airport early, taxi etc). Which is still very long. We are beginning to think that it may be a better option to miss Switzerland and go to London for 4 nights instead.

Any comments would be very highly appreciated.

Thank you

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Vienna to Grindelwald

10 hours is an understatement. Quickest you can do this trip is 10.5 hours, going up to almost 14 hours depending on the route you take. And there is a minimum of 2 changes of train along the way; 3 by the fastest route.

While there usually isn't any point in choosing first class over second, for a trip this long it probably makes sense. I'd be looking at breaking the journey somewhere along the way; possibly Zurich or even earlier at Innsbruck. At least that way you can break the trip down into manageable segments.

Don't forgo Switzerland just because of the travel time. It's worth the effort and the Bernese Oberland area is magnificent.

Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Vienna to Grindelwald

Hello westendgaz,

Thank you for your comments. It does seem that the travel is going to be pretty hard. I have been looking forward to Switzerland for so long so it is a difficult decision to make.

Do you know of anywhere which is similar in natural beauty and is not so difficult to reach? Perhaps somewhere in Austria?

Thank you,

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Vienna to Grindelwald

Plenty of nice places in Austria. Salzburg area and the surrounding lakes district are great, as is Hallstatt; and all are on the tourist trail and easily reached from Vienna. But waking up in Grindelwald (or Wengen, Murren or Lauterbrunnen) and being surrounded by the Swiss alps is an experience you never forget. You've picked Grindelwald for a reason, and it's a great little town.

My first option would be to knock a night off Vienna and spend it en route at Zurich, Innsbruck or even Lucerne. Still a long day, but it breaks the travel up a bit and you can proceed on to Interlaken and Grindelwald next morning relatively fresh and ready to tackle the mountains. It would be a real shame to miss them, and I'd sooner be there than London any day.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Vienna to Grindelwald

The daytime journey from Vienna to Zurich (for onward trains to Grindelwald) is wonderful, through the scenic Arlberg Pass by modern Railjet train with restaurant car (or meals and drinks ordered and served at your seat in first and business class).

See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV1G58ot71k

You can easily buy a Vienna to Zurich ticket online at Austrian Railways www.oebb.at from just €29 in 2nd class, €69 in first, add an extra €15 for the luxury leather cradle-seats in Business class.

A day with your feet up, a good book, bottle of wine, letting the scenery come to you.

If you break your journey in Zurich, look no further than the Hotel Schweizerhof - one of my favourite hotels, just across the road from the station, they'll even send a liveried porter to help you with your bags from the station if you tell them your train.

The time-effective option is of course the Vienna-Zurich sleeper train 'Wiener Walzer'. The double deck sleeping cars offer deluxe compartments on the top deck with shower & toilet, breakfast included. Also bootable at www.oebb.at saves a hotel bill, and those compact but comfy deluxe compartments are very nice.

Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Vienna to Grindelwald

Thank you so much for your advice. What we have decided to do is to remove Vienna from our honeymoon and instead go from Prague to Zurich. We will use Zurich as a base and travel to the Jungfraujoch and the Matterhorn. I also think it would be best to catch the sleeper train from Prague to Zurich. Thank you for the hotel recommendation, I will look into it.

6. Re: Travel from Vienna to Grindelwald

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 14:18