We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jungfrau 6 Day Travel pass

West midlands
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jungfrau 6 Day Travel pass

Hi

We're travelling to Grindelwald in Jungfrau region of Switzerland in June. We want to get a 6-day pass that will allow us onto the local trains, cable cars and buses. Is it better and cheaper to buy buy the pass before we travel or get it once we get there?

If we buy it when we get there, where would we get it from?

Thanks in advance.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jungfrau 6 Day Travel pass

If staying in the area then the Bernese Oberland Regional pass may be a good idea. You can but this from the official tourist office in London. www.myswitzerland.com or from any railway station in and around Grindelwald. You may like to do a currency plus postage charge comparison.

www.regiopass-berneroberland.ch/home-en

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,658 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jungfrau 6 Day Travel pass

I have bought either pass at Interlaken. I have found a Transfer Ticket (bought before entering Switzerland) and either a Bernese Oberland pass of Jungfrau pass to be very cost effective. If you only want to travel around an area bounded by Grindelwald, Interlaken and Murren the Jungfrau pass is good. If you want to travel a little further afield the Bernese Oberland pass can be good. You will need to do the maths.

Have a good trip.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jungfrau 6 Day Travel pass

Better still might be Swiss card and 6 day ticket - this includes a half fare card which I think is valid on the 6 day pass. Buy the swiss card online in advance, probably buy the 6 day card at the station when you get there.

This 6 day pass is great, there are so many places to see locally.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 01:53
West midlands
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Jungfrau 6 Day Travel pass

Thanks for info. We're driving down there so the swiss card wouldn't be an option for us as we only intend to make use of the trains, cable cars and buses once we get there. It will be a week of walking in the mountains once we're there. Just unsure whether it would be any cheaper to buy the 6 day pass before we went or leave it until we get there. Have been before, about 10yrs ago and made full use of the 6 day pass but neither of us could remember whether we bought it before we went or when we got there. Very excited to be returning. Absolutely loved it last time. This time it's with the kids so hoping they will enjoy it as much as us! Roll on June! Can't wait! :-)

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jungfrau 6 Day Travel pass

You can get information on the purchase of the 6 day Jungfrau Pass at:-

jungfrau.ch/en/sommer/tourism/places-to-visi…

I am aware you have used the pass before but as smudge99 has said you need to do the maths. It will cost an extra 75 CHF for each child under 16 and all of you will have to pay an extra 58 CHF to visit Jungfraujoch unless you also buy Junior Cards.

sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/railpasses…

Also the pass does not cover Schilthorn.

If you intend to visit Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn it may work out cheaper to buy the 1 month Half Fare Card at 120 CHF each adult. This gives 50% off all transport covered by the pass as well as Schilthorn. Also with this pass you can get a free Swiss Family Card which will allow children under 16 to travel free at all times.

West midlands
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Jungfrau 6 Day Travel pass

OK, thanks. I'll look at it again and do the maths but I think the extra cost of the transfer tickets will negate the costs saved by it. The eldest is 16 years so will need to pay adult price for her. (Quite why a 16 year old is classed as an adult is beyond me but there we go!)

We will definitely take them up the Jungfrau which I'm aware will cost us 50% of the full price and has been factored in to our expenses (how many kids can say they've stood that high up?!) Thought about the Schilthorn and would love to go up but if we can't get discount I think it will cost too much. Will just have to go up as far as Murren and return. Shame, but there we go. We have a budget to stick to. We have no plans to really travel elsewhere other than maybe see the Trummelbach Falls. They're pretty impressive! It's mainly a case of walking and packed lunches for the most part to keep costs down with the occasional glass of beer on top and perhaps a meal out. Just hope the weather is good otherwise our plans will go to pot!

7. Re: Jungfrau 6 Day Travel pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 13:17