We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Montreux a must-go place?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Is Montreux a must-go place?

Hi

We will be traveling form Interlaken to Geneva and wondering if we should stop by Montreux. Given the time constraint we have, we could probably only able to spend like 3-4 hrs in Montreux. Do you think we can do much with the time we have? Besides the castle, what are other highlights?

Thanks.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,376 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Is Montreux a must-go place?

Hi undertaker101,

How many days do you have in total? How much time will you be in the mountains? I mean, will you be stealing those 3/4 hours from your mountain destination, or will you be stealing them from the city of Geneva? What route are you taking -- are you coming in from the Golden Pass routing?? Also, what time of year will you be there? Montreux's attractions are . . . more attractive . . . in warmer months.

But in brief, I really enjoy the flowered lakeside promenade, and spending 3/4 hours walking there is a great respite.

s

New Jersey
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
2. Re: Is Montreux a must-go place?

Hi

Thanks for your reply. We will be traveling on the Golden Pass Scenic Train. We intend to visit Switzerland by the end of this month.

After visiting Jungfrau, we plan to stay 1 night at Wengen or Interlaken. The next morning, we will go to Geneva but not sure if we should stop by Montreux. We will have the whole day at Geneva.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,376 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Is Montreux a must-go place?

Hi again,

Wow, only one night in Wengen. Have you heard the phrase, "A taste of honey is worse than none at all"? I think that's going to be your own refrain after this trip!! I would move heaven and earth to spend at least three nights in Wengen.

But back to your actual question -- yes, I would steal those hours from Geneva and spend them in Montreux. But then -- I simply don't like big cities and tend to stay/travel in smaller places as much as possible.

Have fun!

s

New Jersey
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
4. Re: Is Montreux a must-go place?

Hi

Yea, we are still planning and hope to spend 2 nights in Wengen. I heard it is really a beautiful place. Thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it!

BTW, what do you think about Lauterbrunnen? We might stay there if not wengen.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,376 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: Is Montreux a must-go place?

Hi again,

Sorry, I don't care for it much -- though lots of folks on this board do. Lauterbrunnen lies at 796m while Wengen is at 1274m, so obviously you're going to be higher in the mountains at Wengen. Also, there is regular traffic in Lauterbrunnen, which Wengen does not have. And finally, Lauterbrunnen lies at the foot of the mountain cliffs, with those cliff walls towering right over the village -- makes it sorta dark and clautrophobic for my taste. I've never been tempted to step off the train when travelling through there.

Good luck with your plans! SO happy you're staying for a bit longer in Wengen.

Anyway, here is my "review" of Montreux's promenade w/some photos:

Promenade Fleuri

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188108-d546…

s

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
347 reviews
6. Re: Is Montreux a must-go place?

I would completely try to spend as little time as possible in Geneva and Montreux if I could spend more of that time in Wengen or Muerren or the Lauterbrunnen Valley. There's nothing like it, and you'll wish you had stayed an entire week. Secondly I can't imagine hauling all of my luggage off the train in Montreux just to spend a few hours walking around. If you just like to walk by the lakeside then don't forget there's a lake in Geneva, too.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
7. Re: Is Montreux a must-go place?

I'm a Montreux fan. I think it has a particular charm all of its own that make it well worth a short stop off. There is something particularly beautiful in my opinion about this end of the lake. I've quite often spent only a morning or afternoon here, so I think that plenty can be achieved in a little time.

With only three or four hours (let's go for 4!), here are some options for you to consider:

1. In good weather you might like to take the boat from Montreux (which will still be running in October) to Chateau de Chillon. First stow your luggage in lockers at the station and walk on down to the lake front. The boat journey takes only 15 minutes so wouldn't eat much into your time. Then look around the fabulous Chateau de Chillon for about 2 hours before returning to Montreux either on the bus or train (from Veytaux Chillon).

2. Stow your luggage at the station, head down to the lake front and then walk along the lake path from Montreux to Chateau de Chillon (takes about 45 minutes) before seeing the castle and then returning on public transport.

3. Stow your luggage at the station, then take the bus or train to Chateau de Chillon (closest train station Veytaux Chillon) and wander around the castle, before heading back again on public transport. This option is good for all weathers.

4. Stow your luggage at the station and use your whole time to stroll around the old town, and a little bit along the lake path.

If the boat option appeals, you can plan your journey on www.sbb.ch/en putting in Montreux CGN as your "from" point and Chateau-de-Chillon as your "to" point. It will give you exact timings the boat leaves the pier and arrives at the castle. The walk from the station down to the lake front takes about 10 minutes.

For public transport back from the castle, the closest station is called Veytaux-Chillon and the journey back to Montreux can take as little as 4 minutes if you plan to catch certain trains (however, trains are often infrequent, so be sure to plan this). The easiest way to get to the station from the castle, is to take the lake path from the castle back in the direction of Montreux for a couple of minutes. You will see the entrance to the station to your right with some steps up from the lake path. The station is clearly marked with its name Veytaux-Chillon, and you want the lakeside platform (ticket machine is on the other platform if you need a ticket). If you would prefer, you can catch one of the frequent buses from the road above the castle heading back towards Montreux.

Have fun wherever you end up and let us know how you get on.

8. Re: Is Montreux a must-go place?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 20:20
Get answers to your questions about Montreux
Recent Conversations