We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hour layover in Zurich

New York City
Level Contributor
19 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
24 hour layover in Zurich

Hello all,

We (2 adults and a child) will have a 24 hour layover in Zurich (arrive am, depart the following am) and we are trying to decide whether to stay at one of the airport hotels, or in town.

One has the benefit of proximity to arrival/departure gates, the other one offers a break if needed during the day while out and about.

So far, only the airport hotels seem to have a day rate that would permit an early check in rather than paying for a second night, and we'd prefer to stay in the under $300 range overall.

Are we missing another option? Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Switzerland
Level Contributor
207 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hour layover in Zurich

Stay near the airport and than take public transportation to the city, if it is the case. It's very fast - from the airport, you have a train every 10 to 20 minutes and it takes about 25 minutes to Zurich main-station, where you are already in the middle of the town. Other option (depending where exactly your hotel is) is tram no. 10, it goes to main-station as well in about half an hour, leaving about every 6 to 15 minutes.

http://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/home.html for detailed time-tables - use Zürich Hauptbahnhof for mainstation.

Edited: 11 August 2017, 16:36
Canton of Zurich...
Level Contributor
351 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hour layover in Zurich

Could I please ask what your arrival and departure times are, and on what day of the week?

New York City
Level Contributor
19 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hour layover in Zurich

We are arriving around 9am on a Saturday and departing around 9am on a Sunday.

Canton of Zurich...
Level Contributor
351 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hour layover in Zurich

With such an early departure on Sunday morning, I'd book the Radisson Blu at the airport. If they don't have a room ready for you at 10am, they'll store your bags until the usual check-in time. The hotel is linked to the airport by a walk through tunnel at the side of reception, so it's really easy to see if your airline will allow early bags check-in on the Saturday night.

The trains between the airport and city centre are so fast (10 mins) and frequent, that it would be no trouble to go back in the afternoon for a few hours rest. I've stayed there myself on a 24hr transit before we moved here, and it was just so convenient not having to drag your bags to a city centre hotel. I also wanted to see the wine angels display at the hotel bar.

New York City
Level Contributor
19 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hour layover in Zurich

Thank you Angela for your thoughtful reply.

New York City
Level Contributor
19 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hour layover in Zurich

Thank you babelhega for the helpful info!

Reply to: 24 hour layover in Zurich
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted