We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in switzerland

Petaling Jaya...
12 posts
Save Topic
1 week in switzerland

Hello all:

Need some suggestions I only have a week to spare in Switzerland. I would reach Zurich on Aug 31 nite..Just me and wife..trying to enjoy our time without trying to do too much..rather spend quality times at specified destinations..any suggestions would be welcomed..

8 replies to this topic
Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in switzerland

One week in Switzerland - "entitles" you to 2 bases according to most TA advices .... :-)

So quite a number of possibilities. If looking for "real" mountain scenery: most impressive Bernese Oberland villages such as Wengen, Mürren with as option some village along Lake Brienz for instance (and day trips up the mountains; no need for Jungfraujoch imho, boat tours on the lake and a day Ballenberg open air museum). Other great place for mountain scenery Zermatt (with Gornergrat, Klein Matterhorn). Or SE Switzerland Engadine Valley.

Other interesting area is Lake Geneva (Lac Léman) NE shore, best known Montreux and Vevey - Lucerne area (with great views from Rigi or Pilatus mountains, Titlis for all year snow and ice experience, lake tours).

Also interesting: scenic train trips in Switzerland - the well known Glacier Express, Bernina Express, Golden Pass line - less known Voralpen-Express, the boat/train Gotthard Panorama Express - see route suggestions at https:/…grand-train-tour-switzerland.html

And plenty of smaller less known places worth a stay, great mountain trains and cable cars. Have a look at www.myswitzerland.com for places and events you might be interested the time you are in Switzerland. And have a look at "Top questions ...", especially some of the trip reports.

Edited: 13 August 2017, 20:04
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
758 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in switzerland

Contrary to the prevailing advice on this forum- we recently spent 5 nights in Zurich and loved it.

We enjoyed our time there, getting to know and explore the city. Exploring old town, doing a boat tour of lake Zurich, even swimming in lake Zurich all were wonderful experiences. We also took day trips - one was to Rhine Falls, and had an amazing time.

Best advice is to do some research, consider what you really enjoy doing, and have fun in Zurich or anywhere else you decide to go in Switzerland.

Little San Salvador...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in switzerland

Where YOU should spend your time depends on YOUR interests. Where anyone else would spend it is irrelevant. Since you have said nothing about what you are interested in seeing and doing in Switzerland, I don't see how anyone can give you any relevant suggestions.

Provide some criteria on which people can offer suggestions.

Canton of Zurich...
Level Contributor
367 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week in switzerland

Thank you travelguyfromflorida !!

Glad to see someone else loves my adopted home, and it's great to see that you has a dip 'in the pool'. Where I am, we swim (my partner and assorted neighbours) every evening when the weather's good, which can be May til mid September.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,719 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week in switzerland

Hi Izham

Sorry, you really need to do some research yourself as where to go depends alone on your interests. I would warmly recommend

- you study the Top Questions about Switzerland (TA Switzerland forum)

- you look at a travel guide and/or www.myswitzerland.com to find out which area or areas you would like to visit

- come back with more specific questions.

Here are a few areas which many first times like a lot

- www.montreux-vevey.com/en and Top Questions about Montreux (TA Montreux forum) entry airport Geneva

- www.luzern.com/en and Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) entry airport Zurich

- www.ticino.ch/en and Top Questions about Lugano (TA Lugano forum) entry airport Zurich

- www.engadin.stmoritz.ch (entry airport Zurich)

- etc. etc. etc (there are to many options to be listed here)

Happy planning

pore

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
758 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week in switzerland

Hi Angela, our hotel was a very short walk from the lake. Our first day, we thought we were going for a nice walk to the park. We were amazed to see how lively everything was.

People picnicking on the grass, some it seems coming straight from work. Others "sunbathing" laying on blankets....and most amazing of all, people just sitting by the marina, with blankets on very hard surfaces which was for them " the beach ".

So many swimmers were in the lake, it was amazing. I don't think this exists in any city center anywhere. Of course we have our beaches in Miami - but nothing like this.

We were also surprised just how late it gets dark. People were enjoying themselves in the water and surrounding areas well past 9:00pm.

We quickly learned the routine. Go to the Coop and get some food, have our bathing suits and just enjoy an amazing time in a wonderful park right by the lake.

Canton of Zurich...
Level Contributor
367 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week in switzerland

That's exactly how it is travelguyfromflorida.

It's a shock the first time you see a few 'suits' get off the train and strip down to their swim shorts underneath, but you get used to it. We just get changed at home, nip across the road and dive in, then watch the sun go down.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
758 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week in switzerland

A little off topic - but if you spend time in Zurich you get to feel more like a local vs a tourist. Another wonderful discovery for us was the Rigiblick Funicular. The neighborhood that surrounds it at the base was really nice and there was a street fare going on as well on one of the days.

However, the ride up was amazing - it's very steep, but the spectacular surprise was getting to the top. What you have is incredible views of Zurich and the lake (without having to leave Zurich.

There are a few benches and lots of grassy area to admire the view. The houses up there are amazing as well and we loved seeing that neighborhood. Extra fun is walking down at least part of the way.

The days we went, everyone else were locals.

Reply to: 1 week in switzerland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted