We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Pilatus

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Topic
Mount Pilatus

Headed to Zurich for 3 short days and thinking of hopping on an organized tour.

Anybody have any thoughts or commets on this one? Anything better?

https:/…d577-3885SW304BS

Im an active, 30 year old guy, and just wanting to have some exploring tome for my only full day in zurich.

Thanks in advance

4 replies to this topic
Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Pilatus

Ashley K to be honest there is no need to do a guided tour to Pilatus. I can think of one very good reason to not do such a tour. If the weather is bad the day you choose to go you will have wasted your money. Pilatus is often clouded when Rigi is not. Lucerne is an hour's train journey from Zurich so I would get the train to Lucerne and then see if Pilatus is clear. If so you have two choices of ascent.

1, Take the lake steamer from Lucerne to Allpnachstad and then get the cog wheel train up and take the cable car and gondolas down to Kriens and the bus back to the station. All this is easily signposted. Plus you can take as long as you want, you will not be constrained by tour requirements.

2. You can do the journey in reverse by taking the bus route 1 to Kriens and following the signposts to the gondola station.

Check the prices at www.sbb.ch/en for the rail fares and the Pilatusbahn website for the trip up and down.

Little San Salvador...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Pilatus

No one can guarantee weather for any mountain peak on any given day. As noted, it makes no sense to go up if you are in the clouds when you get there.

I would not agree on going to Lucerne and then checking the weather. You can easily visit or phone the tourist office in Zurich and get the forecast for the mountain before getting on a train for Lucerne.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
757 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Pilatus

As mentioned above, this and many other "organized tours" can be done on your own - and on your own schedule- often at lesser cost. That being said, with such a short visit and also traveling alone organized tours make the logistics easier, and of course you are going on the tour with other people - so there is a social element.

Just as aside for the link you sent - that company is a tour consolidator - meaning they are the clearinghouse for the local tour operator. We have actually used them in the past - once in Spain and another time in Italy.

We were satisfied with the experience. Booking was easy and in our case there was a savings of time and a convenience factor of being picked up at our hotel, and return in the evening.

So, its a personal choice. Really depends on what you want. For convenience- you don't have to do any planning or logistics. That might be worth considering.

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Pilatus

Appreciate the information above.

For me, logistics and convenience play into this a lot. I'll be working long days in the week before and wont have time to plan a trip.

For what is like 60 hours, i kinda like the idea that i guarantee seeing something with a tour.

Thanks all

Reply to: Mount Pilatus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted