We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting on Thalys to Paris from later station?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Getting on Thalys to Paris from later station?

Hi there,

I have a Thalys booked for August from Amsterdam Central - Paris Nord however my plans have changed and now I'll be in Rotterdam instead of Amsterdam. Given this is one of the stops (and I'm not allowed to change the ticket with this fare - already tried!), would there be any issue getting on at Rotterdam instead? It's the same train, just a later stop....only concern is the train conductors and the gates at Rotterdam to scan ticket barcode.

Not a huge deal as I can get to Amsterdam but would save me the pointless journey there only to come back 40min later!

Thanks for your help!

3 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,881 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting on Thalys to Paris from later station?

probably the barcode won't open up the gate automatically but if you explain to staff at the station I'm sure they will let you through.

Otherwise just buying the cheapest ticket to the next station in rotterdam will also open the barriers.

Level Contributor
1,192 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting on Thalys to Paris from later station?

The problem will not be the gates, but the fact you loose your reservation after Amsterdam. Chances are that in Rotterdam your seat will be taken. And contacting Thalys beforehand to tell them you will board later is useless.

https:/…813038803476680704

Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
273 posts
527 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting on Thalys to Paris from later station?

But reservations are compulsory, so unless the trains is completely full everyone will normally be sitting in their own seat. Only when trains are completely full do they sell a few tickets without reservations.

Reply to: Getting on Thalys to Paris from later station?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted