We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Police Complaint for Tourists

Edison, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Police Complaint for Tourists

Hi,

My father was visiting Amsterdam and was robbed of his passport and significant amount of cash. It seems the people who did this left his passport and ticket in a cafe next door and the kind lady called him so he could get his passport back but the thief's are still out there who stole his cash. We have a video from the restaurant where this happened that clearly shows the faces of the thieves in the act.

He is a senior citizen who has vision issues, he went through hell and mental agony due to this.

How can we file a police complaint (with the video clearly showing the thieves)?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
6 replies to this topic
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Police Complaint for Tourists

I’m sorry this has happened to your father.

Is he still in Amsterdam? If so, he should contact the police and file a complaint. Most police officers in Amsterdam will speak English so he should have no trouble communicating with them.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Police Complaint for Tourists

And be quick with this. By law CCTV can only be stored for a very short period. Unless they have secured the tapes with the incident on it, they could be gone next week.

Even with full faces on it it'll be hard to actually find the thieves or identify them. So I fear the money will be gone. And even if they're caught it won't erase the experience. I'm sorry it happened to you.r father.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Police Complaint for Tourists

In the interest of protecting others can you tell us exactly how the thieft happened?

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,014 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Police Complaint for Tourists

I hate to sound crass as I am truly sympathetic but my best advice would be to chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on. This is the type of thing that happens all the time in Amsterdam. It's kind of like stealing bikes. Everything that can be done to prevent it is done, arrests are made, but for the police to take the time necessary to track down pickpocket crime after the fact is a big ask. But if it would make your father feel better, by all means proceed.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,576 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Police Complaint for Tourists

The time to report this to the police was when it happened not once he got home. I doubt the police will take it very seriously now.

If someone was visiting your home town and had money stolen and waited until they got back to Europe before reporting it what do you think your local police would do?

You can contact the police department here using https://www.politie.nl/en/contact

You can always send them the video by e-mail if it would help them paint a better picture of these criminals to stop it happening again though.

I am presuming the "was in Amsterdam" means he already left but if not then he should contact the police here.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Europe
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Police Complaint for Tourists

This type of crime is most often done by organised gangs from South Eastern Europe like Bulgaria and Romania. These gangs usually move from tourist location to tourist location and often don't stay longer than one or two weeks in one place. Once arrested, charged and released awaiting a court case (or convicted by plea bargain) they just disappear and move on to the next country. Prosecution is generally quite ineffective. The police might be interested anyway to see your video.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Reply to: Police Complaint for Tourists
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted