We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far ahead to book?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
How far ahead to book?

I am looking to stay in Amsterdam for 3-4 days on my way to a week in Krakow doing a solo trip (40 female). I normally like to travel in April/May and am hoping to go in April/May 2019. As Amsterdam is very popular for tourists, how far in advance should I book accommodations? Looking at Air BnB or Hotel but open to Hostels maybe but I like my space and quiet so probably not a hostel. Are weekdays cheaper than weekends? My budget is up to 80 Euro so probably would end up with Air BnB or Hostel as I did in other major cities. **Edit: I am open to most areas in Amsterdam to stay in but am looking at doing the museums and the canal. I am happy to do lots of walking if need be. I don't feel the need to be super close to things if it saves money***

Claire

Edited: 07 June 2018, 02:45
Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Restaurant As
Restaurant As
235 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hostels in Amsterdam
Lucky Lake Hostel
Lucky Lake Hostel
#1 of 4 Speciality lodging in Vinkeveen
Hello I'm Local Boutique Hostel
Hello I'm Local Boutique Hostel
#1 of 12 Speciality lodging in Haarlem
CityHub Amsterdam
CityHub Amsterdam
#6 of 254 Speciality lodging in Amsterdam
13 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far ahead to book?

I follow hotels not Airbnb. But I do know the Airbnb type of model is going thru lots of changes or assaults from the local govt.

You could well book now and have no place to stay in April or May. Others can advise you on this.

80 sadly is a low budget for that time frame. So I'd start to look soon.

If you are going for a hotel a refundable rate now if you find something decent then maybe a non refundable cheaper rate as you get closer.

Most hotel rooms won't be posted for that time frame for another month or so. I'd make sure you check single use room rate if you do look at hotels.

I can help you with hotel if you go that way. Others will help with apt if you want or need.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far ahead to book?

Hostels are often no bargain at all. Unless you are going for a bed in a 16 person dorm and you are a solo.

I'd still suggest a hostel for the social aspect but not because they are such a low cost option.

Your best bet IMO will be a small single use room , in a 1-2 star budget hotel, avoiding the weekend.

There are a lot of good 1-2 stars and some true dumps. As long as you can handle a few flights of stairs the good ones are a good option.

Now is the time to check hotel rates for what ever dates you are interested in. Prices can swing wildly from week to week. . If you see lots of hotels with no rooms you know they have not released them yet.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 04:19
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far ahead to book?

Thank you! I will keep an eye out for hotel rooms opening up. I would prefer hotel if possible as my first choice but appreciate it is tricky with that budget. I am open to going up to 100$ Euro if need be but that would be my max.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far ahead to book?

I would move your visit until a little later in May. Easter and tulip season pricing can be brutal.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Europe
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How far ahead to book?

Early April is still low season too, although low season doesn't really exist anymore. Not high season. Weather late May usually a lot better though.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far ahead to book?

Just a FYI

Looked at April 7 five nights no weekend

Something like the well reviewed two star (7.9 score) Parklane Hotel. 99 usd about 90 euros or so plus tax. It's a twin room 108 sq ft nonrefundable.

For $110 you could get the same room refundable

Up your budget another $10-15 or so and you could get a double room----183 sq ft

April looks pretty fully loaded so you could certainly start your looking as far as dates and overall prices. We can help with suggestions on the specific hotel once you narrow down dates.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 06:27
Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam Hotel Parklane
Amsterdam Hotel Parklane
128 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far ahead to book?

Ah yes that makes sense. I’ll look to book after Easter possibly or early April.

Claire

Maryland
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far ahead to book?

Hi Claire, Just to reiterate, people come from all over the globe for the Keukenhof (gardens) and the tulip fields at that time of year, it drives accommodations thru the roof. You can expect the hotel pricing frenzy to be from early April extending thru to the closing of Keukenhof around mid-May and just a bit after. If its a mild spring then the fields may bloom earlier, late spring, later blooms. So looking at the 1st week of April then skipping past to the later half or last week of May would eliminate the sky-high prices of Tulip Mania, for the most part. There are always some who hope to catch the possible early and later blooms.

LOL, when I typed “Hi Claire” I couldn’t help think of Highclere Castle of Downton Abbey fame !

😎

Mentioned in this post
Keukenhof
Keukenhof
10,350 Reviews
Lisse, The Netherlands
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far ahead to book?

Haha yeah the downtown abbey reference has been mentioned a few times and I never even watched the show! Looks like early April or Late May is better prices time. I’ll look at those date ranges too. Probably later May as I want to be in Poland late April at the earliest, which is the main part of my trip after the layover in Amsterdam.

Mentioned in this post
Poland
Poland
Europe
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
35,577 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How far ahead to book?

I would book something now that you could possibly cancel and if you find something better later on then switch up.

Reply to: How far ahead to book?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;