We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best value for money canal boat tour

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Best value for money canal boat tour

I can see that there are several companies operating tours along the canals, lots with good reviews.

Which would you say is the best value for money boat tour? We don't mind it being pricey if it feels like its worth it, but if a cheaper tour is much the same then obviously we may a well save a few euros where we can.

TIA

8 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
8,225 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best value for money canal boat tour

The likely reason no one has replied so far is that canal boat tours are something that most people only do once every few years - or even just once in a lifetime - so it's diffcult to compare.

I did a canl tour a couple of weeks ago - when I visited Amsterdam with someone who hadn't been before - and it didn't seem any different from the one I did five years ago and the one I did ten years ago. I'm sure they were all different companies - the last one was definitely one I hadn't used before, as I would have remembered the name: Lovers (sounds very romantic but is actually pronounced Loh-fers and is just anothers Dutch surname) We went for that one rather than the one the other side of the bridge because they had a special offer that day.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,561 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best value for money canal boat tour

We enjoyed "Those Dam Boat Guys" tour several days ago. Can't compare with others but this tour is a very small, open, electric boat (10 total +guide) and lasted almost 2 hours...able to negotiate smaller canals where we did not see any of the bigger boats. Bring your own food and beverages. The guide/pilot speaks directly to you and entertains any and all questions on a personal level in English. Nothing is prerecorded.

The success of a trip like this is totally dependent on the quality of the guide I'm sure as well as your fellow passengers. Ours was excellent and our group was very engaged.

More expensive than the big boats though, €25.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,009 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best value for money canal boat tour

Compare what Gehrig describes versus €9 from the basin on the Damrak in front of Central Station. That would pretty much sum up the range of choices available.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Mentioned in this post
Damrak
Damrak
413 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best value for money canal boat tour

We did the Cruise Like A Local tour and loved it. Haven’t tried any others so I have nothing to compare it to. We asked the concierge at the hotel and he broke down all the options and we picked this one based on price, drinks, and more of a personal touch. Some of the larger ones are a pre-recorded tour over a speaker. Our captain/guide was awesome. He explained everything about the canals, buildings, history and some personal experiences. We went with a good group of people who asked a ton of questions that he happily answered. It was 24.50 euro’s which includes your choice 2 beers, wine, soft drinks or water. The tour lasted about an hour and a half. We had a blast and will definitely use them again next time we’re in town.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
35,727 posts
598 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best value for money canal boat tour

We took the Canal Tours Amsterdam which was awesome but it was a Wine and Cheese Tour.

Mentioned in this post
Canal Tours Amsterdam
Canal Tours Amsterdam
1,564 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best value for money canal boat tour

I have been on at least 6 tours over the decades. I just walk up and pick a boat with no forthought. No idea which companies I have rented from except once.

I did enjoy the Blue Boat tour more than most. But that one ended up being almost a private tour the way it worked out.

There is no such thing as a bad canal tour. Some you may like more than others.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best value for money canal boat tour

Thank you all for your comments.

Based on the above, I think we will just see who has the best offer on the day :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best value for money canal boat tour

That Blue Boat tour I had was maybe the last tour of the day, a boat load of people who all got dropped off at the floating Chinese resturant , the rest of the tour was the captain, a very nice art student guide, my son and I.

For a regular price ticket it was as good as it gets.

Reply to: Best value for money canal boat tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted