We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in Amsterdam

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
First Time in Amsterdam

Hello!

My husband and I are traveling to Amsterdam for the first time this coming October. We will be there from the 16th to the 21st and aside from getting advance tickets to the Anne Frank House, I don't have much listed on our itinerary just yet.

I'm looking for some guidance on activities and places to eat, things that should be booked in advance, as well as places to avoid (i.e. tourist traps that are a total waste of time and money).

A little bit about us:

- Prefer architecture and interesting buildings to art museums but willing to make an exception for something interesting

-Enjoy outdoor activities (I'm aware that October in Amsterdam is not exactly warm, but still not freezing either)

-Like to plan 1-2 things per day and leave some time to just explore

-When I travel, I particularly enjoy experiences that are unique to my destination versus something I can do just about anywhere

- As far as food, when we travel we generally do breakfast, a smaller snack for lunch and then a bigger dinner with drinks. Budget isn't really an issue but I'm not looking for fine dining options simply because I'm not fussy about food and I've had great experiences at inexpensive restaurants and poor experiences at fancy restaurants and vice versa. For dinners, places around 120 euro total would probably be the most we are looking to spend, but happy to take suggestions lower or higher than that if the food is great.

We are staying in the Jordaan district and are comfortable with taking public transportation or walking, but probably wouldn't be biking anywhere.

I hope I've provided enough information to get some suggestions but if there's anything I may have left out I'm happy to clarify. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Edited to add: We like all kinds of food (I'm the pickier one) but I have never had an issue finding at least one thing on a menu to eat at any place I've been.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 02:55
7 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,155 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time in Amsterdam

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18859…

I love what to avoid questions since I can post one of my all time fav threads.

And it gives me another chance to say how much I miss MrO not being here posting

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time in Amsterdam

Thanks MrJohn, this thread gave me a chuckle :)

As I've already sworn off attempting to ride a bike in Amsterdam, it looks like I'm on the right track!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,155 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time in Amsterdam

It's a fun thread but it's one of our most informative treads as well.

There is a lot of seriously good advice to be found there

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time in Amsterdam

You're right! I wasn't planning to do the Heineken Experience anyway, but I did find a link to an interesting looking brewery as an alternative suggestion, which is right up my alley. I should also clarify that I'm aware that I'm a tourist myself, so I'm not looking to completely avoid tourists (duh), I just don't want to do anything that is gimmicky.

Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time in Amsterdam

Must go to vondelpark. So relaxing and beautiful. Must also try foodhallen. Great food and beer. The bitterballen bar was awesome.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,155 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time in Amsterdam

https:/…First.Time.Visitors.html

Lots of interesting things to do. The most fun for many of us is aimless walking the city.

Level Contributor
79 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time in Amsterdam

vondel park for sure but in my opinion book when your there. you will see everything walking around the area for a day. madam tusauds was worth it for us . i would just go to a tourist info booth when you arrive and takr things slow and enjoy taking it all in. canal trips are everywhere and good fun. we prefer pedal boats for an hour or 2. enjoy your time

Reply to: First Time in Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted