We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearing customs at AMS

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Clearing customs at AMS

We plan to arrive from the U.S. four hours before our Cruise Ship leaves - does anyone have a good feel for how long it takes to clear customs, get our bags, and drive across Amsterdam to meet the Holland America ship?

10 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearing customs at AMS

You are cutting it close but under normal circumstances, which do sometimes occur, you should be at your ship 2-2.5 hrs after deplaning. But if the ship sails 4hrs after your scheduled arrival, can you actually checkin and board up to the last minute or is your actual available time less than 4 hrs. If your flight is late for example do you have a plan B to get to the next port of call before the ship? I would never do what you seem to be planning; I'd come in a day early at least.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearing customs at AMS

Getting bags will often be the biggest problem at the airport.. It often takes a while. Customs etc is in general reasonable quick. However check with your cruiseline what the latest time is you still can board. If possible change your plan come earlier,

UK
Level Contributor
8,777 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearing customs at AMS

We normally recommend a minimum of 4-6 hours, but preferably an overnight stay, when people ask about transferring between different flights, from the same airport, on separate tickets.

Planning to arrive at AMS four hours before a cruise ship departure from the other end of town strikes me as totally crazy.

Suggest you arrive the day before.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,387 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearing customs at AMS

Even a 2 hour flight delay here would have you sweating. I agree crazy to arrive the day of a cruise. Way too much risk for me.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Clearing customs at AMS

Some people only get 14 days a year or so for their vacation, and might buy the insurance for getting to the next port in case they miss their ship. It would depend where the next port is too, but I totally understand that there are circumstances where one would take a calculated risk. After all there's definitely some leeway, and the chances of a long delay are not that high.

What I've always wondered, if you miss your ship that's going to another Schengen port, would they let you embark on the lock in IJmuiden?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
177 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clearing customs at AMS

Make sure you have a telephone number for your cruise ship.

And if possible, understand how you might get cell phone access in the EU.

If your cruise line is picking you up at the airport, understand where you meet them.

Bon Voyage

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
392 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clearing customs at AMS

Having been to Amsterdam recently (late April actually) it took us TWO hours to get from our airplane just to passport control. That might be an exception but it was crazy!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,011 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Clearing customs at AMS

Is this flight booked through the cruise line? If so, is it responsible for getting you to the next port if your flight is late? My relatives who do these cruises always go at least a day before.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clearing customs at AMS

Thanks for the advice everyone - we decided to spend $300 and change our flight to arrive on Friday morning for a Sunday 5pm departure. Need to get a hotel in Amsterdam for one night, likely the Hampton Inn.

You guys are right... no sense in putting ourselves through the torture of customs delays.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,387 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clearing customs at AMS

Probably the best $300 you have ever spent If you want hotel recommendations then let us know but we need an exact date and budget.

Reply to: Clearing customs at AMS
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted