We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pharmarcies???

10 posts
Save Topic
Pharmarcies???

What are the local pharmacies there?

Do they sell Paracetamol and Paracetamol with Codeine from a pharmacist?

My husband has a spinal fusion and has been in a lot of pain. We are currently in Germany but will move on to traveling to Amsterdam later this week. Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pharmarcies???

Paracetamol is available everywhere, including in supermarkets.

Paracetamol with codeïne is however only available from pharmacies on prescription basis.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pharmarcies???

There's a doctors office at the main train station if you need an opiate prescription.

www.centraldoctors.nl

10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pharmarcies???

How much does it cost to see a doctor if his health insurance does not work in Europe?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pharmarcies???

you will be better off seeing a doctor in Germany. here the costs are going to be high with or without insurance

10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pharmarcies???

Does a prescription transfer? Also, what is the strongest without a prescription. I am just trying to prepare as an emergency plan. The walking here already in Germany is really bothering him. What do you consider high? Thanks for all the help everyone!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pharmarcies???

If you have a prescription in Germany you can already buy enough medicines to last you during your visit in Amsterdam.

a doctor visit here can be several hundred Euros for something complicated - I think we have sometimes paid 250-300 for something.

And Dutch doctors don't indulge in casual stuff. (they would rarely treat any of us living here - forget the tourists - unless something really of emergency nature is going on). A hospital visit in an ambulance can be 1,000 plus.

Actually German doctors also rarely prescribe medicines - I believe they have a variety of Teas prescribed as cure for most ailments like cold, fever, aches, sprains and so on. But they are more easily accessible.

10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pharmarcies???

Yes while here, he has been taking Arnica D 12 and Voltaren. We plan on bringing those plus Paracemol. I was just looking into something for those horrible days (especially during weather changes). He was in a bad car accident and has most of his neck fused together. We spoke with his doctor in the USA but by the time things got cleared properly to be transferred here, we would have moved in to a different city most likely. Woukd it be as simple as finding a GP for some help here in Dusseldorf? Thanks again for everyone's help.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pharmarcies???

This place worked perfectly for friends:

http://www.expatmc.net/

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"--Mark Twain

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pharmarcies???

<How much does it cost to see a doctor if his health insurance does not work in Europe?>

https://amsterdamtouristdoctors.nl has an online price list. Mo-Fr (0800-2000) a medication consultation will cost 27.50 euros. Add to that the cost of the paracetemol/codeine.

10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pharmarcies???

Thank you for the link. I will save it in case we need it. Thank you very much!

Reply to: Pharmarcies???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted