We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking near RLD

Dallas,TX
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Walking near RLD

Hi,

I will be visiting with my kids (all under 15) and our plan is to visit areas close to RLD - Dam square, Begijnhof, and Bloemenmarkt (in that order) but avoid RLD area. We will then be taking bus/tram from Bloemenmarkt to centraal station. By looking at google map, I am assuming all these areas are adjacent to RLD and not within it.

Any suggestions in taking any walk path that does not accidentally get to us to RLD area?

Thanks,

Murad

Mentioned in this post
Dam Square
Dam Square
11,641 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Begijnhof
Begijnhof
4,128 Reviews
11 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,084 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking near RLD

Get a map and know where the 3 red light districts are., OK in your case maybe just the main RLD

Look at the map as you walk and avoid the areas you want to avoid. If you have a map and know where you are it's very easy.

Also check off The Old Church and Church in the Attic as interesting places you will not be visiting as they sit within the RLD area.

If you do by chance find yourself in the RLD you and your kids will see less than you see at a normal beach and less than you will see on an average store front manakin display.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking near RLD

If you walk directly you would never end up in the RLD. There's no reason to avoid the RLD in my eyes except for overcrowding but that only happens in the evenings. It's perfectly safe and a beautiful old part of town if you have an eye for it. Nothing to worry about.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking near RLD

In general you'll see nothing more than on a beach. Just add some reddish and pinkish lights for extra atmosphere...

Maryland
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking near RLD

Unless you are going inside the Neiuwe Kerk, or Royal Palace there is nothing to do at Dam Square but count cobblestones, it just a large open area. The Begijnhof is lovely, but a tiny 10-15 walk thru, and the Bloemenmarkt is a short 1 block tourist souvenir strip specializing in fridge magnets. Are you planning anything FUN for your kids ?

Mentioned in this post
Dam Square
Dam Square
11,641 Reviews
Begijnhof
Begijnhof
4,128 Reviews
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking near RLD

Google Maps on your smartphone with your destinations "starred" is a wonderful way to navigate the city.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"--Mark Twain

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,458 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking near RLD

My grown up daughter was here last week. She wanted to see the Flower Market. I did warn her that it was full or tat but we went anyway. She lasted about 5 minutes before telling me it was full of tat and asked where the flowers were ;-)

Walk along there by all means but don't expect much.

Was in the RLD for dinner at Cannibal Royale on Saturday. Jeez I forgot just how busy it is down there. Full on!! I don't know how anyone can actually live in that area but yes it is easy to avoid. During the day it is pretty tame anyway.

There are often buskers in Dam Sq but otherwise it is basically a walk through.

Take a walk through the free Schuttersgalerij near the Beginhof.

https:/…civic-guards-gallery

Mentioned in this post
Flower Market Hotel
Flower Market Hotel
224 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
359 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking near RLD

I think you are being over anxious, blink and you will miss it; we did.

I agree about Dam square, best glimpsed from a tram travelling through. Not worth getting off.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking near RLD

If you walk there in daytime, you won't notice much action. Ok, some windows spell SEX, but that's pretty much what I remember.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,084 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking near RLD

Dam sq is worth getting a take out lunch and then sit in the most famous square in the city and certainly one of the most famous in the world and watch and soak up Amsterdam.

Suggesting dam sq is just a place to drive by for first time new visitors is not at all good advice.

I have walked thru or sat in dam sq over 300 maybe over 400 times in the last 30 plus years.,often 2-3 times a day. I have never once regretted that choice or grown tired of seeing that square.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
11,506 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking near RLD

#9 - 'like'.

Reply to: Walking near RLD
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;