We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canal boat hire in October.

Bega, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Canal boat hire in October.

Hi all,

My husband and I will be in Amsterdam from the 22nd to the 26th of October this year. The 25th happens to be my 30th birthday and I would like to do something special.

I had been looking at renting a boat on the canal for a few hours, maybe pack and nice picnic etc.....

Now looking at the weather averages it seems it may be a little on the chilly side. Has anyone done this in colder weather? Is it stil fun/nice or is it just cold and gloomy? I know no one knows what the weather will be, and we may get a lovely clear day, but if we don’t would you still recomend this?

If not does anyone have any recommendations on something that would be special for my birthday? We love being outdoors but also love wine/food etc if that helps

Thanks so much in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
9 replies to this topic
Europe
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Canal boat hire in October.

October is usually not that cold yet. On an open boat not moving yourself plus the windchill means you should dress a lot warmer than you would for walking around. It's a perfectly reasonable plan, but you must also have a plan B in case of bad weather. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Mentioned in this post
Plan B
Plan B
63 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,091 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canal boat hire in October.

I think ASW is being a tad optimistic there. Average high temps in October are about 8˚C and by the near end of October they normally struggle to get to that.

I live on quite a busy canal and unless there's some kind of Indian Summer you don't see many boats going up and down at that time. Most people have put their boats in storage by then. Coming from a fairly warm/temperate climate it will seem colder.

I think the boat rental companies will have their boats out of the water by then. Boaty.nl only rent until the middle of October. Mokumboot might have but really I would only consider this if the temperature is over 15C and that is fairly unlikely a week before the beginning of November.

Oh and then the wind and rain. TW it is now mid June and I'm looking out my window and no boats have gone past me in the past 20 minutes. Lots of people with jackets on outside 16˚c and windy.

If this was the end of October it would be a very nice day.

Bega, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canal boat hire in October.

Thanks for the reply’s!

By the sounds of it I may need a plan B! Though I will keep an eye on the weather leading up just in case I get lucky!!

Any suggestions on what else may be fun for my birthday?

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Plan B
Plan B
63 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,091 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canal boat hire in October.

>>Any suggestions on what else may be fun for my birthday?<<

the world's shortest bungee jump from the Skinny Bridge ;-)

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canal boat hire in October.

Very mean of you not to mention the sharks, Ron.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Canal boat hire in October.

Average high temps for October is not 8°c but 14.5°c. Also there are no sharks in the canals.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,091 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canal boat hire in October.

Actually yes you are more correct than me. Here is the weather for the 25th last year if you scroll down. I got duff figures from another site. Still would not be planning a boat trip at the end of October though. Maybe you willget lucky.

dutchamsterdam.nl/753-amsterdam-weather-octo…

Europe
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Canal boat hire in October.

It's hit and miss really, weather can go anywhere that time of year.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,091 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canal boat hire in October.

Yesterday I was looking out my window and some poor souls went past in a rental boat wearing those emergency poncho's and sheltering from the wind and I thought of this thread 😄

Reply to: Canal boat hire in October.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted