We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Van Gogh Museum in September

chicago, il, usa
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Van Gogh Museum in September

I went to the Van Gogh Museum website to find out about purchasing tickets online for a day during my trip to Amsterdam, September 8-11, 2012. I'm confused--it says tickets are good until August 31, and then it explains that the museum will be closed beginning September 24, but it doesn't say anything about the dates between Aug. 31 and Sept. 24. Does anyone know how I can get a ticket between those dates? Or is it not possible? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Van Gogh Museum
Van Gogh Museum
52,961 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,459 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Van Gogh Museum in September

i believe buying advance tickets stops august 31...you can still buy ticket at the door from august 31 until it closes

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,994 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Van Gogh Museum in September

Yep no online ticket sales after the 31st August.

Germany
Level Contributor
603 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Van Gogh Museum in September

If you need to purchase tickets at the museum, you would want to be there very early (before opening, preferably on a week day) - we came one morning about 5 minutes after opening and there were already more than a hundred people in line to buy tickets (we had the Museumcard so skipped the line but still about an hour later the museum became extremely crowded).

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Van Gogh Museum in September

Agree with eff7, I went to the Van Gogh museum last saturday with my museum card. Not only the lines outside were long, inside the museum it was extremely crowed. Watching these beautiful paintings with too many people per painting (!) was not my idea of a relaxing afternoon so I left.

advice: get your tickets online, be early and pref. go on a weekday, if you want to enjoy the paintings.

Nina

Mentioned in this post
Van Gogh Museum
Van Gogh Museum
52,961 Reviews
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Van Gogh Museum in September

I emailed them about this and got some puzzling responses. No explanation at all why the museum was open but not selling tickets on line.

I asked if the collections were limited as they will be getting ready to close and move. They responded the third floor would be closed. I have learned that most of the Van Gogh works are displayed on the first two floors. I'm guessing that restricting the sale of tickets is an attempt to restrict the amount of people who enter from 1/9 to 23/9.

Just a guess on my part, but if you have to buy tickets at the site and you see a long line, maybe they're hoping that some of us won't bother.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Van Gogh
Hotel Van Gogh
1,012 Reviews
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Van Gogh Museum in September

@ JoeyG could be.

Until the 24th of september you can visit the Van Gogh museum. Only without the direct online ticket service of the Van Gogh itself.

If you do want to have the skip the line option and if you are visiting other museums as well, you can check the different cards and passes that give you "fast track entrance" as well. For example the museum card, holland pass or i amsterdam card. Maybe one of them fits in your holiday plans or not.

If the Van Gogh is the only museum to visit and you really want to enjoy the paintings without too many people around one painting, I still recommend you to be there around/before opening time. (Even if you have a skip the line ticket :-))

Nina

Mentioned in this post
Van Gogh Museum
Van Gogh Museum
52,961 Reviews
Hotel Van Gogh
Hotel Van Gogh
1,012 Reviews
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Van Gogh Museum in September

I probably should keep this to myself but that's not the spirit of Trip Advisor.

The Uitboro Ticketshop on Leidesplein has tickets to the Van Gogh, it says without booking charges. It also mentions you can skip the queue, although I'm not certain it qualifies for fast track entrance. They may just be saying you skip the line to buy tickets, not the line to get in.

There is no set date on the tickets so you can pick them up at your leisure, then go to the museum the next day.

Thery also sell public transport cards,and others although I think there is a 1E upcharge on them

iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…ticketshop

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Van Gogh
Hotel Van Gogh
1,012 Reviews
chicago, il, usa
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Van Gogh Museum in September

First, thank you everyone for clarifying the online ticket situation and confirming what I suspected. Next, thank you so much for all of the tips! JoeyG, thanks for sharing what you found out about the ticketshop--that sounds great! You have all been so helpful and hopefully we'll have an amazing time at the museum!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Van Gogh Museum in September

No problem.

I love Chicago, have a daughter living there so we go frequently.

We will be arriving the 12th, the day after you depart. Please post or Message me your thoughts and suggestions.

Joe

Germany
Level Contributor
603 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Van Gogh Museum in September

JoeyG - The long line is to buy tickets. I don't think anybody skips the other lines (to have your tickets checked, to check in your bag & the security check at the entrance) but those move much faster.