We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for Sunday brunch?

Worcestershire, UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for Sunday brunch?

Hello Forum,

My husband and I are visiting Amsterdam in a couple of weeks and will be arriving in the city on a Sunday at around noon.

Does the forum have any suggestions for a nice relaxing venue where we can have a leisurely Sunday lunch/brunch to ease us into the city?

We used to regularly go to the Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky for Sunday brunch whenever we were in Amsterdam, but we've not visited the city for a few years, and when I called earlier today to book a table, I was dismayed to hear that they have stopped doing this.

So I am turning to you - my Amsterdam experts - do you have any suggestions for a nice venue to while away a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon?

All suggestions will be gratefully received.

Best regards,

Yinka

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
NH Collection Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
NH Collection Amsterdam...
2,406 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Scarsdale
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ideas for Sunday brunch?

Hi!

I was wondering if you would please help me. :) We are arriving in Amsterdam from the US, enroute to Pairs. We arrive at AMS at 7:30 a.m. and our flight on KLM to Paris departs at 12:30 PM. So, we have only 5 hours. I was wondering if you thought we could take a cab into Amsterdam, have a quick great breakfast someplace and then get a taxi right back to the station so that we could return by at least 10:30 AM, if not sooner.

How long does it take by cab to get to the city Center? Where would you recoomend we eat so that we can get a flaovor of Amsterdam? Do you think this is possible? We dont want to miss our flight! I would appreciate your help very much! Thanks so very much for your quick reply, if possible~~Bonnie

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Amsterdam Airport...
Schiphol, The Netherlands
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Ideas for Sunday brunch?

Hi BLOforSLO,

You should have opened a new topic to get more and sooner an answer.

A cab would cost 45-50 euro and takes 30 minutes provided there's no traffic jam. Best way is to take the train to Amsterdam (20 minutes to central station which is as central as you can get)

The Dutch isn't big on breakfast. You can find several places around the Station for breakfast, but it's not really typical Dutch. I would suggest instead you take a canal boat ride to have a feel of Amsterdam which starts at 9 am and takes an hour. Best deal is Plas or Kooij just three minutes from the Station on the Damrak.

After that, try a breadroll with kroket at the FEBO opposite of the boats as a typical Dutch breakfast.

After that you can buy some stroopwaffels in the Hema inside the Station before departing again for the airport.

You will have enough time as you've already entered the Schengen area.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Damrak
Damrak
419 Reviews
FEBO
FEBO
830 Reviews
Hema
Hema
192 Reviews
Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Ideas for Sunday brunch?

@MrJohnMd

You're probably right. I was merely repeating the hotel. Lack of customers must be the reason. After all, how many people are willing to pay a basic price of 42.50 euro for a brunch...

Worcestershire, UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ideas for Sunday brunch?

Thank you so much Forum Advisors!

We are actually staying at the Doubletree, but I didn't think that the Skylounge would have a comprehensive lunch menu (of course, I could be wrong).

Blue looks very interesting too - thank you Ronaldo.

But I have decided on Haesje Claes. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Regards,

Yinka

Mentioned in this post
Restaurant Haesje Claes
Restaurant Haesje Claes
3,933 Reviews
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,788 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ideas for Sunday brunch?

BL I have it on my list to ask someone at the Kras why next time I am in town.

But you may have hit the answer with that 42 euro price

On a normal Tuesday someone on an expense account will gladly pay for that 42 euro buffett-----is it really that expensive?

But a tourist on a Sunday morning likely will not.

So it may not be less customers in the hotel.

But less customers in that hotel on an expense account.

That would make sense.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,888 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ideas for Sunday brunch?

hi , Yes Ron is correct , Sofitel The Grand did the best sunday Brunch I have ever sampled .. in the Guilder time it was around 65 and worth every cent.

It went to Euro 45 more recently but included, a welcome glass of Campange, all the wine you could drink and a vast array of top quality food.

I was informed by a staff member they needed 60-70 covers to break even. And more often than not they fell short. They still do the Sunday Brunch on high days and holidays but I no longer subscribe to their events listings so cant tell you when their next one is.

The food at Haesje Claes is very good but I was unaware they did a Sunday Brunch ..... geoff

Mentioned in this post
Restaurant Haesje Claes
Restaurant Haesje Claes
3,933 Reviews
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,509 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Ideas for Sunday brunch?

i stayed in the kras for two months and never ate the €28 breakfast they serve in the garden room...some things are just priced beyond ridiculous..its just breakfast for crying out loud!!...€15-18?...maybe once or twice i might..but you got to draw the line somewhere.

Edited: 19 August 2012, 04:06
Worcestershire, UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Ideas for Sunday brunch?

Hi Geoff - I decided on the Haesje Claese as it looked like it would have good food in comfortable surroundings. I've given up looking for brunch.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

Regards Yinka

19. Re: Ideas for Sunday brunch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 13:18