We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to speak Dutch

Appalachian...
Level Contributor
12 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Want to speak Dutch

All Dutch students are required to become proficient in English, I realize.

I'm going to Holland for two weeks in September. I'm studying Dutch, can read it fine, want to practice speaking it.

I'm looking for more chances to speak. Is Deventer such a place? Any other suggestions?

Steve

Dutch restaurants in Deventer
Restaurant Huis Vermeer
$$ - $$$, French, Dutch, Seafood
Fooddock
$$ - $$$, Dutch, Bar, International
Deventer
Belgian, Dutch, European
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,362 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to speak Dutch

Hi Steve,

Mmmm... difficult one. Sandya also learned this the hard way in her route to become proficient - esp. in Amsterdam they immediately start to reply in English once they hear a non-Dutch accent.

On the other hand, in the countryside (where English proficiency is less common) some people tend to use dialect, which is not really good for improving your 'ABN' (standard Dutch). For that matter, the region where the best standard Dutch seems to be spoken is Haarlem and surroundings.

Midsize cities further away from 'Randstad', but not in far-off provinces with a strong cultural identity like Groningen/Friesland/Limburg, might be the optimum. Deventer is an example, Apeldoorn and Arnhem also come to my mind. And if someone replies in English simply tell them 'Sorry, kunt u mij helpen om beter Nederlands te spreken' and that should bring them back on their Dutch feet again...

But anyhow that trick _should_ work even in Amsterdam or Rotterdam or so.

Have a nice time,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Haarlem
Haarlem
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
Groningen Province, The Netherlands
Apeldoorn
Apeldoorn
Gelderland Province, The Netherlands
Arnhem
Arnhem
Gelderland Province, The Netherlands
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
South Holland Province, The Netherlands
Jakarta
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to speak Dutch

Hi,

I'm looking for a language school in Deventer. Hopefully the one that offer me a one-year course to study Dutch.

Looking forward to get more informed. Many thanks.

Rani

Leidschendam, The...
Level Contributor
53 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to speak Dutch

Steve,

I think you can train your dutch speaking ability every where in Holland, if you find the right person.

It's a pity you are thinking about going to the Deventer area and not somewhere near The Hague. I have experience with teaching dutch to russian speaking people, talking, reading and writing and lately I helped a child of Afghan fugitives with his dutch for school. As teacher I could make some time daily to train dutch conversation with you.

Rani,

in Holland we have ROC's (regional educational centres) which organize citicen courses and language courses for people who want to settle in Holland. ROC's you find every where so for you it isn't a problem.

Mentioned in this post
The Hague
The Hague
South Holland Province, The Netherlands
Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to speak Dutch

Yes, it can be very difficult to get the Dutch to speak their own language. The trick is the accent, and getting rid of the novelty aspect of the conversation. The more practice you can do with "virtual" Dutch people, the better. My Dutch really improved when I started to watch the news in Dutch every night. The news anchors spoke about simple topics, at full speed, and would never change to English when I didn't understand!

Good luck.

5. Re: Want to speak Dutch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Deventer