We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam

4 posts
Save Topic
Train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam

Hello,

I will be in Rotterdam in September and I would like to go to Amsterdam. I think the cheapest and easiest way to go there is by train? I already checked ns.nl and apparently it costs 15,20€ one way. Do I have to buy the tickets in advance to get this price or can I buy them at a counter/vending machine at the station? I ask because I am not surewhen I am free to got to Amsterdam. I read something about an OV-card. Do I really need one?

Thank you :)

Mentioned in this post
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
South Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
8 replies to this topic
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
222 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam

Hi!

You can buy a ticket at the station, you can use a vending machine or go to one of the manned counters. You'll pay a little surcharge for not having a 'standard' OV-card, but it's not worth considering buying one...

Please note that there is the regular way to get to Amsterdam and the Intercity Direct. For the Intercity Direct one you'll also pay a little surcharge.

This clip might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stQQpaX650w. It's about getting from Schiphol to Rotterdam, but the system is the same: yellow machine, choices, payment, checking in and out.

Enjoy your stay!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Schiphol
Schiphol
Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam

Thank you. I didn't expect that there is a video showing how to get there! :D

I read about a 1€ surcharge for a one-time OV Card. I guess that this is the surchage which you mentioned in your post?

Edited: 07 September 2017, 23:47
Europe
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam

There are cheaper ways depending on what time you want to travel. Primera have a €17 offer at the moment for a day card off peak hours.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,130 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam

"I read about a 1€ surcharge for a one-time OV Card. I guess that this is the surchage which you mentioned in your post?"

No the surcharge mentioned is the €2,30 you need to pay if you want to take the Intercity Direct train between Rotterdam and Amsterdam. Since this train rides on the high speed track, you need to pay a surcharge.

Mentioned in this post
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam

@ASW33 I think the train costs only 15,20€ + 1€ surcharge. So Primera won't be cheaper, will it?

@Breda_Travelgirl I meant the surcharge for not having a OV Card. I don't need the train on the high speed track so I guess I'll have to pay 16,20€ in total?

Mentioned in this post
Breda
Breda
North Brabant Province, The Netherlands
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam

Futhermore, I need to get into the city centre by bus. The easiest way would be to just buy 1 hour ticket for 3€ right?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,206 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam

Well if you need a one-way trip yes Primera daycards aren't cheaper. For a return of course they are.

And Centraal Station is as the name implies part of Amsterdam city centre ;-)

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Centraal Station
Centraal Station
13,674 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,821 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam

It should also be noted that those Primera cards also include bus, tram and metro travel so it may indeed be a cheaper option even if only going one way.

Reply to: Train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted