We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghent Restaurant Suggestions

Scarsdale, New York
Level Contributor
71 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Ghent Restaurant Suggestions

We will be starting our vacation in Ghent (first time in Belgium) on Friday August 17th; will have 3 dinners in Ghent. On Friday night, we are considering Oak, Vrijmoed. All three aren't open Saturday or Sunday night. If Naturell, Karal De Stoute, Volta are open Saturday or Sunday night, they seem like possibilities. After reading many Alberto Moderato TA reviews, I'm unsure if this is a good choice. Please note that we don't eat chicken/meat. We love fish (but don't eat shellfish), and all really interesting vegetables dishes, salad, grains. We love desert! I mention how we eat, because it may influence your suggestions. Really appreciate the help, and everyone who takes the time to respond.

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Vrijmoed
Vrijmoed
455 Reviews
Ghent, Belgium
Naturell
Naturell
330 Reviews
Ghent, Belgium
Volta
Volta
334 Reviews
Ghent, Belgium
Moderato
Moderato
98 Reviews
Antwerp, Belgium
10 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghent Restaurant Suggestions

Belgians are hearty carnivores with shellfish following shortly behind - are you sure you are coming to the right country?

Scarsdale, New York
Level Contributor
71 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghent Restaurant Suggestions

Perhaps not, if the vacation was only based on dining in restaurants. We will be in Ghent, Bruges (one day), Antwerp (one day), and Amsterdam for 5 days. I hope that by communicating with the restaurants in advance, we will have good restaurant experiences. I know we will enjoy everything else about the vacation!

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,077 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghent Restaurant Suggestions

I think bombarding restaurants with questions in advance, in a foreign language, is probably the best way to put their backs up, as few restaurants have the staff to deal with this outside their actual serving hours; but who knows, maybe you will be lucky.

You might like to consider (not a personal recommendation) http://www.komkommertijd.be/ - it does a vegan buffet, and is closed on Mondays and at lunchtime on Saturday, but open on Fri, Sat and Sun evenings. Note that it specifically asks people NOT to e-mail them for reservations. It is located in a street (called "Reep") behind Sint Baaf's cathedral.

Le Botaniste (http://www.lebotaniste.be/), which is entirely plant-based and mostly organic, is closed on Sundays but open on Saturdays, and it's quite central, about 5 blocks from Korenmarkt near the Jacobijnenstraat bridge, which is the next bridge after St Michael's bridge, looking in the opposite direction from the boat landing stages (Graslei/Korenlei).

The same (closed on Sundays but open on Saturdays, both lunchtime and evenings) applies to the vegetarian restaurant Lekkergec, currently in temporary premises near the Hotel de Flandre: http://www.lekkergec.be/

Mentioned in this post
Le Botaniste
Le Botaniste
106 Reviews
Ghent, Belgium
Korenmarkt
Korenmarkt
105 Reviews
Ghent, Belgium
St Michael's Bridge
St Michael's Bridge
1,331 Reviews
Ghent, Belgium
Hotel de Flandre
Hotel de Flandre
744 Reviews
Ghent, Belgium
Scarsdale, New York
Level Contributor
71 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghent Restaurant Suggestions

Thanks. If Oak is any indication, they said everything will be fine...if I can get a reservation. Polite/respectful communication has been appreciated elsewhere. I'm hopeful it will be in Ghent too. Looking forward.

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ghent Restaurant Suggestions

I read that every Thursday is Meat Free day in Ghent. It made it seem like every restaurant has to be vegetarian on Thursdays. Is that not the case?

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Scarsdale, New York
Level Contributor
71 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ghent Restaurant Suggestions

No idea, but I doubt that could be true.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ghent Restaurant Suggestions

This is from November. Looks pretty legit but wondering if it is as big of a deal as it seems here. onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/…

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ghent Restaurant Suggestions

@Amy; where in that article does it say that every restaurant in Ghent has to be vegetarian on Thursday?

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ghent Restaurant Suggestions

Maybe not EVERY one...but articles I read made it seem like it was def a city wide initiative, enough that it would be well known to people that live there. From other articles:

The city of Ghent in Belgium will declare every Thursday a vegetarian day in an attempt to fight climate change. Ghent city officials will also offer climate-conscious consumers tips on limiting their meat intake, which they believe consider a significant source of pollution.

Tom Balthazar, a Ghent city councillor, says abstaining from meat one day a week "is good for the climate, your health and your taste buds.

"A balanced vegetarian meal is not only sustainable, but also a healthy meal," he said.

"We eat too much meat in Flanders and too little fruit and that has disastrous consequences for our health.

"Too much eating meat increases the cholesterol and the risk of some cancers, diabetes and obesity."

The UN says meat production is responsible for nearly one fifth of greenhouse gasses, hence Ghent's decision for the weekly vegetarian day.

Schoolchildren are set to follow public officials with their own "veggiedag" in September.

The Ethical Vegetarian Alternative, Belgium's national vegetarian organisation, said: "Ghent, in co-operation with the vegetarian organisation EVA, is determined to go the extra mile in our common battle against climate change. Other Belgian cities have already shown interest in following Ghent's example."

"To do this, the EVA began mapping the city’s veg-friendly locales — every restaurant, hotel, supermarket and friterie that served vegetarian dishes. (There’s a whole section on Ghent’s tourism website that highlights places that fry their potatoes in vegetable oil.) Once restaurants saw the map, they too began to add vegetarian and vegan options to their menu. Today, the veggie map includes well over 100 eateries throughout the city."

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ghent Restaurant Suggestions

“Maybe not EVERY one...but articles I read made it seem like it was def a city wide initiative, enough that it would be well known to people that live there.“

If Belgians are serious about one thing, they are serious about eating meat. I don’t want to burst your vegetarian bubble, but eating vegetarian just isn’t a thing in Ghent or Belgium. Surely you will be able to find vegetarian restaurants or restaurants that will offer great vegetarian dishes, but a forced vegetarian Thursday will simply be a bridge too far for most Belgians.

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Reply to: Ghent Restaurant Suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted