We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is bruges too similar to amsterdam?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
is bruges too similar to amsterdam?

if you have 5 days, would you do 3 days amsterdam + 2 days bruges or 3 days amsterdam + 2 days brussels?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is bruges too similar to amsterdam?

Brugge feels nothing like Amsterdam, but I couldn't decide how long to spend in any of these places without knowing what "I" wanted to see in Amsterdam and Brussels, when I was coming (what time of year) and how I was travelling (flying out from BRU or returning to AMS?)!

Transport-wise, it is probably easier to stay in Amsterdam and Brussels and visit Brugge on a day trip from Brussels (1 hr by InterCity trains, which leave from Gare du Nord, Gare centrale and Gare du Midi, in that order). Also, if there is nothing specific you want to see or do in Brugge, you probably wouldn't want to stay there for 2 nights.

devon
Level Contributor
386 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is bruges too similar to amsterdam?

Brugge is romantic, pretty and great for a 2 day stay to take in the sights and enjoy a fee beers

Amsterdam has alot more going on and much more nightlife from restaurants to clubs and everything in between, as well as beautifull buildings canals and history.

Edited: 17 October 2011, 04:28
Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is bruges too similar to amsterdam?

Hiya,

I've visited Amsterdam in July this year. It was my first proper visit (had been twice before: school trip and shopping trip), but I hadn't had the opportunity to do sightseeing and visit museums.

I stayed for three days and to be honest I could have used a fourth day, which would have enabled me to see all the things I wanted to see. On the positive side: I now have a good reason to return ;)

Bruges is often used in movies to portray Amsterdam, a fact that I find quite funny as I don't think Amsterdam and Bruges look alike. The street scene (especially along the canals) in Amsterdam is pretty much the same no matter where you are, while in Bruges it's so different. No street is alike. The style of the houses is different too. People often say that the street layout of Bruges is confusing, but I had more difficulty in Amsterdam because everything looked the same!

Amsterdam is more alive. Everything is constantly moving, the city doesn't sleep. There's lots of traffic, especially bikers. I live in Holland, but I can't remember ever having seen so many bikes in one place.

Bruges can be crowded during the day, but quietens down in the evening, perfect to wander around, take pictures, have a drink on the Market square (or somewhere near).

Personally I like Bruges more than Amsterdam, I know it says I'm a destination expert for Bruges, but I'm not from Bruges. I don't live there (though I hope one day that might be the case), I wasn't born there, I didn't grow up there, but I feel very much at home in Bruges. When I returned from Amsterdam and went back to work I was like: "Aaaah, home sweet home in Bruges".

Both Amsterdam and Bruges are historical and cultural cities, you'll find interesting museums in both cities, but the vibe is different. Amsterdam is more active, more modern while Bruges definitely oozes that medieval feeling and is more calm (and not to forget: more romantic!).

As I said, I spent 3 days in Amsterdam, 4 days would have been perfect for me. For Bruges I'd say a minimum of 2 full days, but 3 would be perfect.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Sabrina

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
914 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is bruges too similar to amsterdam?

I think there is good advice in the other comments.

My answer would be in depends on the time of year. 3 days in Amsterdam and 2 in Bruges seems about right. On the whole, Bruges has a lot more going for it than Brussels, which has only one real spectacular sight, the Grande Place (Unesco World Heritage Site). Bruges, however, because it is such a nice place and the centre is another Unesco World Heritage Site has a great atmosphere and lots of places to see and experience, can be very busy at times. I would suggest that you avoid Bruges in the summer and at weekends. We spent 3 weeks there in February and loved it.

Be prepared that parts of Amsterdam can be a bit seedy, with some petty crime, and that it can be very busy in the summer and at weekends as well. There are marvellous areas, though, like the Jordaan. You have to experience it. We have been going to The Netherlands 3 or 4 times a year for the last 20 years, and now we rarely visit Amsterdam preferring to visit all the other Netherlands attractions like Utrecht, Delft, Gouda, etc.

Bruge would be a very good contrast to Amsterdam

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is bruges too similar to amsterdam?

thx for the replies.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is bruges too similar to amsterdam?

I took over 300 photographs in Bruge earlier this year and 20 in Amsterdam no contest.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,287 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is bruges too similar to amsterdam?

When I first moved to Amsterdam I didn't think much of the arcitechture but it certainly grown on you and I consider myself luck y to live here. I was actually looking at some photos of a freinds wedding from last week and there are some really pretty spots.

To the unitiated I suppose they do look alike but are actually quite dfifferent. I have only been there once to be honest and it is a very pretty place but smaller than Amsterdam with less things to do so I would say even a day or two max would suffice.

8. Re: is bruges too similar to amsterdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Bruges