We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruge to Ostend

Gods Own Country
Level Contributor
133 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Bruge to Ostend

Hi.

I might be booking at short P&O Ferry trip to Bruge in December to see Xmas market, but as I have been to Bruge a few times thought I would visit Ostend in the morning and come back to Bruge in the afternoon.

The coach from the ferry drops off at the bus/train station, therefore anyone know which train to catch, and what is the cost. I know there is a tram which travels up/down the coast, does this also have a stop at the bus/train station (which is the best/quickest option).

Any info much appreciated

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruge to Ostend

The train to Oostende, which would be the terminus (of trains coming from Brussels)! Cost from Brugge is €3.70 single.

The Coast Tram, as its name indicates, goes up and down the coast, therefore you cannot catch it anywhere in Brugge (which is not on the coast). You could catch it in Zeebrugge rather than taking the coach into Brugge, but the coach/train combination should be faster.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruge to Ostend

If your ferry docks at Zeebrugge, you might consider picking up the tram at one of the stops in Zeebrugge, and then going along the coast to either Blankenberge or Oostende.

From either of those two places you can then take the train to Bruges, although the train service from Oostende is more frequent. This will enable you to see some of the coast.

delijn.be/dekusttram/images/TRAM-P2-weekdage…

is the tram timetable from 7th November to 23rd December and

delijn.be/dekusttram/…

shows the location of the tram stops in Zeebrugge.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,801 posts
929 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bruge to Ostend

I am not sure that there is very much to see in Oostende, particularly in December and particularly if it is windy and cold. I think that Brugge is a better option for the full day, but why not take the train further to Ghent if you have not been there before?

Gods Own Country
Level Contributor
133 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bruge to Ostend

Thank you for your reply. A good idea, Ghent, it gives me something to think about

Regards

Gods Own Country
Level Contributor
133 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bruge to Ostend

Thank you for your reply. The train is a good option, I will consider, although another idea has been made to go to Ghent, which I have not been to before.

Decisions, decisions.

Regards

Gods Own Country
Level Contributor
133 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bruge to Ostend

Thank you for your reply, I now have options on where to get transport and even to visit somewhere completely different, Ghent. I will have to decide now what we want to do. I have been to Ostend before and just thought it might make a nice change to go there in the morning and come back to Bruge PM, but I now might look at going to Ghent.

Regards

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bruge to Ostend

Train times and fares for Bruges to Gent can be found at

http://www.b-rail.be/nat/E/

The main station at Gent is called Gent St Pieters. From there you will have to take tram no. 1 into the city centre (stop Korenmarkt or Gravensteen). If you buy an all day ticket from the machine (€5.00) this will cover you for the tram, and also for the bus from the station in Bruges into the city centre.

Gods Own Country
Level Contributor
133 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bruge to Ostend

Thank you so much for this info. All I have to do now is decide where to go.

Regards

9. Re: Bruge to Ostend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Bruges