We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steak in Brussels

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Steak in Brussels

Can someone please tell me if when ordering steak in Brugges you actually are eating beef or is it horse meat?

In't Nieuw Museum
$$ - $$$, Steakhouse, Brew Pub, Barbecue
El Churrasco
$$ - $$$, Steakhouse, Barbecue, Argentinian
Parrilla
$$ - $$$, Steakhouse, Belgian, Barbecue
Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Steak in Brussels

< Can someone please tell me if when ordering steak in Brugges you actually are eating beef or is it horse meat? >

Beef - both in Brussels and Bruges.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,094 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Steak in Brussels

You can always ask for "paardenvlees" (viande chevaline) if that's what you want, although you don't often see it on the menu.

For all cuts of beef, menus are quite likely to specify that it is Irish: as we all "know" that British beef is likely to give you mad cow disease (in the same way in which your friends at the pub "know" that all meat sold as steak in Belgium is horsemeat....!).

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Steak in Brussels

Where did you hear this joke about horse meat?

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Steak in Brussels

A friend of mine went to Brugges he is a butcher and he told me that if you asked for a steak you got horsemeat?

London
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
979 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Steak in Brussels

While horse is often available, as in France, it is frequently more expensive than beef so there is no economic sense for this substitution.

I suspect this has the same level of basis in fact as eating dog in Korea - yes it can be done, but is not widespread or likely to happen accidentally.

6. Re: Steak in Brussels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 01:16