We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trappist breweries near Bruges?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trappist breweries near Bruges?

Hi - What are the closest (1-2hrs drive) trappist breweries near Bruges? Also, what other breweries do you recommend I can see while in Bruges?

I see The abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren is showing as 75 Km away - how long does that take by road? Also is there someplace in Bruges that serves this beer?

Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
London
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trappist breweries near Bruges?

The drive to Saint Sixtus takes about an hour from Bruges and is not a particularly difficult drive. the Abbey is closed to visitors but the cafe and visitor centre is well worth a visit.

The beer itself has an almost mystical quality in regard to the hoops that have to be gone through to buy it in any quantity but the cafe serves it and the gift shop allows the purchase of modest quantities.

Part of the reason that people will go through the hoops is that it is almost impossible to purchase it anywhere else, there are no distribution deals and anyone buying from the Abbey agrees it is for their own consumption. As a result there are no bars anywhere, other than the Abbey, that will regularly have it.

Occassionally a bar or beer shop may have a small quantity but it is unlikely.

In Bruges itself the tour of the Halve Maan brewery is well worth doing and I would suggest sampling from their wider range - not just the Zot you will find everywhere (though that is different at the brewery than elsewhere).

Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
worcester, uk
Level Contributor
461 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trappist breweries near Bruges?

i have never managed to buy it in Bruges but i noticed from the flandersnews website that it is available in one of the supermarkets on the first weekend in november in order to raise funds for the abbey.

the best beer bars in Bruges are brugs bertie, garre and gambrienus (sorry for the spelling but i am on my phone on the way to work) if they don't have the beer there then have fun trying many of the hundreds of beers that belgium has to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
Wingene, Belgium
Level Contributor
519 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trappist breweries near Bruges?

maybe this T.A. link is useful

tripadvisor.com/…32123110

the Westvleteren trappist will be sold from November 3rd 2012

in the Colruyt supermarkets, but... only with a coupon from the newspaper De Standaard or the magazine Knack or Le Vif .

tastingandliving.com/2011/…

i've tried a translation of the article

Each customer who purchase from The Standard, Knack and Le Vif handled at the counter, called a bouwsteenbox can buy Westvleteren XII. Each box costs 25 euros and includes 6 bottles of Trappist monk and two tasting glasses.

For once, the world celebrated Trappist abbey gate not to be removed, but in a Colruyt store. The promotion runs until all 93,000 brick boxes sold.

The proceeds of the sale goes entirely to the extraordinary reconstruction of the Trappist abbey. In order to finance the renovations, the brothers each month since September 2010 an additional turn of brewing Westvleteren 12 Trappis provided.

According ratebeer.com Westvleteren 12 is this year's best Belgian beer and the second best beer in the world. "Westvleteren XII is best stored upright in a dark, cool place (preferably not the refrigerator), the abbey brothers still share it.

Wingene, Belgium
Level Contributor
519 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trappist breweries near Bruges?

oeps! wrong date : Westvleteren trappist available from Nov 3rd 2011 in stead of 2012... or ... next week !

5. Re: Trappist breweries near Bruges?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 14:17