We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ieper ..short visit

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,800 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Ieper ..short visit

Hi all,

We are visiting our daughter in Germany and our current plan for a very short visit (side trip) to Ieper in January is as follows.

15th Jan - Bremen to Ieper via Koln- should arrive after 3pm (very long day, the train will leave Bremen at around 7am). We wish to visit Buttes New British Cemetary (my gt uncle is listed on the NZ memorial wall there) visit Paschendale (where my husband's gt uncle won a Military Medal) and attend the Menin Gate Last Post Ceremony. I also want to visit the In Flanders Field Museum, the Ramparts Cemetary and Anzac Rest/Polygon Wood.

We're currently thinking we'd be better to have 2 nights in Ieper to allow time to visit these sites without rushing and return to Koln late afternoon on the 17th January

We're not 'guided tour' kind of travellers so would it be OK just to get a taxi for our visit to Zonnebeck and Paschendale? Is the rest do-able on foot?

Is this plan OK? Appreciate any input from locals or past travellers.

cheers

helen

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,800 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ieper ..short visit

anyone???

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
305 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ieper ..short visit

We think with what you have planned that 2 nights would be better for your trip !

Would reccomend a Guided tour rather than taxi trips as the tour can be tailored , with advance warning , to your requests and needs !

One other thing you should note that many of the local taxi`s seem to dissapear to Brussels or wherever after 6-7 pm !

Hope this helps !

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,800 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ieper ..short visit

many thanks East Yorks Cpl...I've sent out a couple of emails to Ieper tour companies/guides so will see what eventuates... just don't want to get dragged round looking at stuff that we have no connection with, so trying a private tour might be the way to go.

cheers

helen

Edited: 24 May 2012, 19:50
4. Re: Ieper ..short visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:17