We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ypes to Brussels

Canterbury
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ypes to Brussels

At the conclusion of a day tour of the battlefields our guide has suggested staying in Ypes to observe the last post - paticularly as we have a family member who lost his life in the battle of Mercenes.

My issue is that we were supposed to be in Brussell that night.

Question: Should we stay in Ypes after the ceremony or travel that evening by train to either Kortrijk or Brussels. I presume either would be late arrival at hotel with luggage not ideal.

The other alternative to get up early (Saturday Morning) and travel from Ypes to Brussells need to be there 9.30am. What is the travel time by train and how do we do it - what changes do we need to make?

Am trying to alter our schedule to arrive a day earlier but not possible at the moment.

Interested to hear comments.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,539 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ypes to Brussels

1) Last post ceremony in Ieper (YpRes) takes place 20:00 till 20:15. Although it would be a bit of a rush to catch the 20:39 to Brussels, you can catch the 21:39, arr. 23:28. These are direct trains.

2) If you stay overnight in Ieper, then guessing that where you want to be in Brussels by 09:30 is Gare du Midi and assuming that this would be a weekday (as you didn't specify), you can easily do this by catching the 07:16, arr. 09:10, or 07:59, arr. 09:19 (both direct). If you had chosen to stay in Kortrijk instead, both of these stop at Kortrijk.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,669 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ypes to Brussels

I see from your other post you have now decided to travel from Kortrijk to Lille and catch a Eurostar to London at 14.00.

There are regular trains from Kortrijk to Lille-Flandres, the journey takes about 30 minutes. I don't know the fare but it will only be a few euros and will not need to be pre-booked. You can get the times here: www.belgianrail.be

At Lille, you need to transfer from Lille-Flandres to Lille-Europe, the stations are about 400m apart on foot.

Don't forget that you must be at the Eurostar check-in at Lille-Europe at least 30 minutes before departure.

Canterbury
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ypes to Brussels

Thank you - we have been throwing ideas around as to best option but after hours seraching on the internet realise we are able to take the Eurostar direct from Lille without going into Brussells.

The only reason for going to Brussells was to catch the Eurostar. We have not made any bookings - Hence my later postings just to look at optoins.

Also realised why I could not figure out train timetables due to the names of Lille, Yepes and Kortrijk in Flemish and French were spelt differently! So confusing from so far away!

Will consider your reply re Brussels but now leaning towards departing from Lille as will involve less dragging luggage around train statons!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,539 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ypes to Brussels

If you were looking for Ypes or Yepes, you won't find either in ANY language: it's Ypres - with an "r" - or Ieper, which is the proper (local) name.

Although Lille is Rijsel in Dutch/Flemish, I don't know a single train timetable in which you would not find the name Lille, given that it is the local name. There could, however, be a problem if you were looking for trains to Lille-Europe given that trains from Kortrijk (Courtrai in French) arrive at Lille-Flandres station. For this reason the DB timetable is useful because it allows you to select LILLE, covering all Lille stations.

If you were looking for Brussels, in both local and international timetables (except Eurostar) you would do best looking for Bruxelles-Midi. In the same way in which you wouldn't expect to find London St. Pancras under the name Londres/Londra or other foreign-language version!

5. Re: Ypes to Brussels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2013, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Ieper (Ypres)