We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire with debit card

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire with debit card

Hi all

Sorry all - Car hire question.

I am trying to find a car hire company based at the airport that will accept debit cards for the deposit etc. No-one in the family has a credit card. Just dont use them!

We have hired cars in various holiday destinations without an issue, but I dont seem to be able to find anywhere at Faro airport that allows car hire with a debit card. Its even beginning to look like we will have to cancel the villa we have booked as we wont be able to get around.

If anyone knows a company that we can use please do share as this is taking me longer to organise than the rest of the holiday combined!

Many Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Faro Airport
Faro Airport
Faro, Portugal
8 replies to this topic
Blackpool, England
Level Contributor
859 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire with debit card

If you have time why don’t you just apply for a credit card. Many people have credit cards that they only use on holiday, just put it away when you get home.

Level Contributor
740 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire with debit card

When collecting our vehicles we have seen others in your predicament, they usually have to buy the expensive additional insurance to cover the lack of a deposit.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
466 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire with debit card

We always use Luzcar and pay by cash never any issue with them.

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
279 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire with debit card

Luzcar accept debit,credit or cash. They get great reviews on here. Might seem a bit more expensive than some but everything is included and you don't have to pay anything in advance. We've booked them for next January.

Great Dunmow...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire with debit card

I wouldn't recommend using a debit card for car hire as so many companies rip you off for petrol, damage, excess mileage etc and if you have used a debit card you won't be able to get a refund when they take whatever money they feel like taking after you leave the hire desk!

west sussex, UK
Level Contributor
266 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire with debit card

I agree. Never use a debit card. It’s the most unsafe form of payment. You could get home to find your account empty.

Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire with debit card

We got to the hire car place and could not remember the card number....for my credit card ..they did take my debit card..x

west sussex, UK
Level Contributor
266 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire with debit card

By handing over your debit card they are able to remove any amount they like and you have NO insurances against it. Your money is gone.

Use a credit card and that card company will refund any fraudulent claims and fight it on your behalf.

My dad once used a debit card in a restaurant in Italy. Unknown to him the restaurant skimmed his card. By the time he got home to the uk that card had been used 10 times and in two countries.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Reply to: Car hire with debit card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Faro