We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loule Market

1 post
Save Topic
Loule Market

Hey guys, I would like to stay in Algarve this summer. I saw that there's a lot of fruit and local food on the market. Do you know some of the prices? Because I will stay at the apartment and I will need to buy some food, but I'm still finding some good destinations with lots of cheap fruit and vegetables in Europe, so feel free to contact me if you have some tips. Thanks a lot!!

Mentioned in this post
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Europe
Europe
World
4 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,361 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loule Market

lots of cheap fruit and vegetables - those usually exist on any of the big supermarkets existing everywhere in the Algarve. If you want good local fruits and vegetables, then it might not be cheap...

But tell us also what's cheap for you...

Mentioned in this post
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
492 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loule Market

I am currently in Olhos D'Aqua and oranges across the road from where i stay are 1.50 euros per net which contains between 12 and 14 oranges depending on size.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,745 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loule Market

I was at Loulé market on Saturday. The prices didn't seem much cheaper than the supermarkets but fresh produce was being sold by those who grow it.

karolihjk - which country are you from? Portugal may or may not be less expensive than where you live.

Here are some items from my shopping this week, at a major supermarket :

I litre milk (not UHT) 79 cents, 250g butter €1,29, 8 x 125g yogurt pack €1,56, bananas €1.05 Kg, Red plums €2,39Kg, Apples €1,79 Kg, Potatoes €1,98 for 3Kg, sweetcorn 350g can 56 cents, orange juice €1,50 litre.

Mentioned in this post
Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
239 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loule Market

I don't know whether this will help you or not. We are in Aveiro this week, and we were in Loule last week. I shopped the main public market in each city. I didn't notice any significant differences in prices from one city to the next.

This morning I bought ingredients for a pot of stew yielding six large servings. A shopping bag full of fresh vegetables was just over three euros. A half kilo of excellent quality beef was well under four euros. A length of each of three different sausages came to four euros in total. So that's less than 11 euros for six hearty servings of food (plus of course the cost of seasonings.)

This left lots of room in the budget to splurge on a few bottles of fantastic Portuguese reds in the bottle shops at 10 to 15 euros each. And a good 10-year-old Port for after dinner -- with a couple of local cheeses at about a euro each from the public market

I cooked while She Who Must Be Obeyed went off to oogle Roman ruins. No complaints when she returned at dinner time.

Mentioned in this post
Aveiro
Aveiro
Aveiro District, Portugal
Loule
Loule
Faro District, Portugal
Reply to: Loule Market
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loule
Recent Conversations