We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No REAL milk available on Sao Miguel

Birmingham
Level Contributor
13 posts
175 reviews
No REAL milk available on Sao Miguel

Another pointer for you guys travelling to Sao Miguel having just returned from there myself.

You can NOT buy "Real" milk from any shop or supermarket. Its it UHT milk only. We tried everywhere but to no avail.

I asked about this in a restaurant one evening and was told that apparently 6-7 years ago

there were issues with the quality of fresh milk being produced my farmers on the island as so it was banned from sale.

This is VERY strange considering the amount of farms and cows you see everywhere on this amazingly green island.

So if you enjoy your cup of tea/coffee with proper milk you wont be able to drink it in the manner while your in Sao Miguel.

19 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
11 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: No REAL milk available on Sao Miguel

Thanks for the information. I'm heading there next week. How was the weather?

Birmingham
Level Contributor
13 posts
175 reviews
2. Re: No REAL milk available on Sao Miguel

Foggy, windy, rainy, sunny, warm and cold.

All in the space of an hour.

Luckily it cleared for one day (Just about) so we went back and revisited everywhere to retake photos.

Level Contributor
11 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: No REAL milk available on Sao Miguel

Thanks. I see the trails are closed on the website. We they when you were there?

Birmingham
Level Contributor
13 posts
175 reviews
4. Re: No REAL milk available on Sao Miguel

I dont know what exact trails you are speaking of but we packed to do some hiking but there was no way we were doing any of it in the wind (Must be looking at 70 mph) /rain/fog. Just hire a car (e10 a day) and drive around everywhere instead. Personally I feel the views from the tops of the mountains looking down into the valleys and lagoas is 100 times better than walking around them at ground level. Ive never been to anywhere with access to the tops of mountains like this before with such amazing views below.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
26,107 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: No REAL milk available on Sao Miguel

The supermarkets will have "leite do dia", the brand that everybody knows in Portugal is Vigor leite do dia. I doubt that a big supermarket like Continente in Ponta Delgada doesn't have it.

If you are looking for milk from the local producer, no it's not possible. The rules and regulations in terms of hygine/food safety are so strickt that it's to expensive for them to even think about it. About 90% of them are very small farmers/producers.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
13 posts
175 reviews
6. Re: No REAL milk available on Sao Miguel

Believe me, they dont sell it in any big or small supermarket.

There is no milk in any of the cold/fridge sections of the supermarkets in Sao Miguel.

I know this sounds bizarre, but it is definitely so.

Have you been to Sao Miguel?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
26,107 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: No REAL milk available on Sao Miguel

I'm portuguese, I drink UHT milk, so wherever I am there's always milk... not been to s. Miguel for a while, but will be in Terceira in September, i'll remenber to look for it.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
83 reviews
8. Re: No REAL milk available on Sao Miguel

Well, it isn't just the Azores. Throughout Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Italy and, increasingly Germany, UHT milk has become pretty much the standard. It needs no refrigeration, generally costs less than fresh milk, doesn't spoil and is easier on the environment. Fresh milk also is sold, but light demand and the cost of refrigeration tends to make it more of a speciality item and definitely more expensive.

Elsewhere in Europe, UHT also is slowly gaining market share, but Brits, Irish, Dutch and all of Scandinavians much prefer fresh milk. Countries with a "milk-drinking" culture tend to prefer fresh. What you were told about some "problem" with Azorean milk sounds is likely untrue. As you pointed out, the dairy industry (including milk processing) is a very important economic pillar of the islands.

Canada
Level Contributor
596 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: No REAL milk available on Sao Miguel

What's uht? So u cant get pasteurized milk there?

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
83 reviews
10. Re: No REAL milk available on Sao Miguel

"Ultra-high temperature processing (UHT), ultra-heat treatment, or ultra-pasteurization[1] is a food processing technology that sterilizes liquid food, chiefly milk, by heating it above 135 °C (275 °F) – the temperature required to kill spores in milk – for 1 to 2 seconds.[2] UHT is most commonly used in milk production, but the process is also used for fruit juices, cream, soy milk, yogurt, wine, soups, honey, and stews.[2] UHT milk was first developed in the 1960s and became generally available for consumption in the 1970s.[3]

The heat used during the UHT process can cause Maillard browning and change the taste and smell of dairy products.[4] An alternative process is HTST pasteurization (high temperature/short time), in which the milk is heated to 72 °C (162 °F) for at least 15 seconds."

Reply to: No REAL milk available on Sao Miguel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sao Miguel