We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sao Miguel in February

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
63 reviews
Sao Miguel in February

We'll be heading to Sao Miguel for 2 weeks in Feb 2012.

What can we expect for weather ? We love to hike...

I'm assuming the traffic will be lighter so easier to drive a rental car?

Will some attractions/restaurants etc be closed for the winter?

Any other tips most welcome....

Thanks! Astrid

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,459 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Sao Miguel in February

Here's the national meteo site www.meteo.pt/en/oclima/clima.normais/020/, with some historical data. It's winter so you can expect rain and some sun in-between, or if you're lucky a few days without rain.

This site as some general info about S. Miguel http://en.azoresguide.net/ilhas/smiguel.php,

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
13,705 posts
97 reviews
2. Re: Sao Miguel in February

The weather in the Azores is very changeable, you can have various types of weather all in one day. February is not the best time to visit due to a strong chance of rain but you will hopefully have some sunshine as well. Traffic outside the main cities was light when I visited in my summer, doubt you will have a problem in the winter.

May be interested in my recent trip report and photographs :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189134-i1760-k4…

Have a fantastic time!

Sao Miguel, Portugal
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Sao Miguel in February

The weather is a box of suprises!

You never know what it can be!

Normally we are still in the rainy season here and it is one of the coldest months here. Winter is between 13º to 15º average, but in February it can be at the end the coldest periode. 2 years ago at the end of February it snowed for the first time on my life on the Fire Lake (947 meters), Ponta Delgada got to 5 º plus, but that is a very big exeception. the lowest temperature can reach around 9º plus.

So it is wise to saty longer like you said for 2 weeks and use the good weather to toru on the island and the bad weather to see churches, museums or other inside activities.

About hiking here is a very good site:

www.trails-azores.com/

During that time some of the hiking trails can be slipery, so you will have to be a litle bit carefull!

Trafic is not a problem comparing from where you live. There can be a lilte bit of more trafic in Ponta Delgada city, specialy when people go or leave there work and on a rainy day, but nothing like Toronto!

Some people use that periode to take a break from the Summer, but most of things are open specialy the week days. that I recall, the Empadadas Lakes and the Canary lake parks are closed on the weekends. One or another thing have a shorter open hour. Like the Pineapple plantation, but they are open everyday. the Ceramic Factory opens earlier and closes earlier and one or more things!

Have a nice vacationin 2012!

Gary

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: Sao Miguel in February

Thanks for the excellent advise. I 'm wondering if the volcano steam dinners will be availabe in February? Or is that just a summertime event?

Thanks!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,459 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: Sao Miguel in February

You are referring to the restaurants located at Furnas lagoon that do the tipical "Cozido", right? Here's a link with some info that dish …lifecooler.com/lifecooleren/furnas-meat-ste…

Sao Miguel, Portugal
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Sao Miguel in February

Mosta of the restaurantes are open all year in Furnas to make the "Cozido das Furnas"!

In Furnas you can eat a traditional food from Sao Miguel called the "Cozido das Furnas", which is a kind of stew with beef, chicken, many pork parts, meat sausage (chouriço), black sausage, potatoes, sweet potatoes, Yams (a kind of African potato), carrots, white cabbage and kale. All these ingredients are cooked in an pot underneath the ground for about 6 hours. It is recommended to order it a day before.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
63 reviews
7. Re: Sao Miguel in February

EXCELLENT!!! We're really looking forward to trying all the local foods!

Astrid

SE Pa
Level Contributor
669 posts
8. Re: Sao Miguel in February

Just returned from one week in S. Miguel. I can tell you that based on November, February will be very short on amount of daylight, especially if cloud cover or in the mountains. It very severely shortens your activity time for hiking. The cozido is excellent!

Exmoor National...
Level Contributor
314 posts
108 reviews
9. Re: Sao Miguel in February

I've been in January and the weather was OK - cool but not cold, ideal for walking in my view. Welshtraveller mentioned the variable weather - one memorable day I walked around the crater rim above Sete Cidades and experienced rain, hail, gales and warm sun. I found some of the restaurants were closed in Ponta Delgada, but there was still a fair choice - and I sampled the cozido in Furnas.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
63 reviews
10. Re: Sao Miguel in February

Many thanks! We're leaving in a few weeks, looking forward to hiking and eating! Astrid

Get answers to your questions about Sao Miguel