We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madeira Honeymoon

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Madeira Honeymoon

Hi, I am looking for suggestions for a hotel for a weeks honeymoon (its after a 12 day adventure first part of honeymoon).

Would like to be located close (if not in the middle) of restaurants / bars etc, with a decent outdoor pool.

In terms of price, PortoBay & Belmonds Reids are too expensive so we are looking for any suggestions.

THanks

12 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madeira Honeymoon

Maybe try Pestana Promenade for price. It is in the Lido area, close to many restaurants, bars etc and has possibly the best swimming pools on the island.

Mentioned in this post
Pestana Promenade
Pestana Promenade
1,992 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madeira Honeymoon

Thank you , it does seem to tick a lot of the boxes!

New Forest, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madeira Honeymoon

Two others roughly in the same area that we have experience of and might fit the bill are the Hotel Girassol and the smaller Lince - both are very reasonably priced if you book a package or go through a booking website. Next to the Lince is the Four Views Monumental which is also affordable, but we have never stayed there.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Girassol
Hotel Girassol
719 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Lince Hotel Madeira
Lince Hotel Madeira
393 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madeira Honeymoon

Thanks BucksFizz, I had noted both of your suggestions when I first started looking at hotels.

What would peoeple think of possibly staying 4 nights in somewhere like Lince / Pestano Promenade and then moving to Belmonds for the final three nights (given that we won't mind the actual "move")?

The trip would then be affordable, or am I too bothered about trying to get a few nights in Belmonds?

Mentioned in this post
Lince Hotel Madeira
Lince Hotel Madeira
393 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
5. Re: Madeira Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2018, 06:26

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madeira Honeymoon

Thanks Phil _ I had spotted that alright!

Looks the real deal

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madeira Honeymoon

Reids Palace is an amazing hotel and the epítome of luxury, with a fabulous cliff top location overlooking the ocean, beautiful gardens, rooms, public áreas, lovely staff, food - the list of superlatives is never ending, and I would definitely try and stay at least one night there. However it does tend to attract older guests and sometimes there is a somewhat reverential air about the hotel which you may not like. Also take care which room you choose as they vary in size. Even if you decide not to stay there you can always go for cocktails or drinks, or to dine in one of their restaurants including Villa Cipriani, but of course you would miss out on the pools and gardens.

The honeymoon suíte at the Grand sounds nice, and another hotel you could consider is The Vine in the city centre which has a roof terrace with breathtaking views, but the pool isn't very big. Again, that's a great place for rooftop drinks, and it also has an excellent restaurant. Lots of lovely places in Madeira for honeymoon treats - it is said the island is for the newly we and the nearly dead, but the latter is beginning to change!

Edited: 19 January 2018, 01:05
Mentioned in this post
The Vine Hotel
The Vine Hotel
2,422 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Chester
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madeira Honeymoon

Hi

for me it has to be Reids and try and get a room looking towards the harbour.

If it is a matter of cost why not have a few days somewhere else on the island and then go to Reids for 3 nights.

We stayed BB which helped with the cost but we did share a bottle of wine on the tea terrace.

Daniels Taxi's also provided a good 1/2 day tour to the Valley of the Nuns and Monte.

We believe the Cliff bay which is next door is very good.

Reids breakfast (and 1 free lunch around the pool when they saw it was my birthday )was better than the Orient Express so make it special

Mentioned in this post
Valley of the Nuns
Valley of the Nuns
862 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Hotel The Cliff Bay
Hotel The Cliff Bay
3,274 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
New Forest, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madeira Honeymoon

"Newly wed and the nearly dead". Brought smile to my old face, roseand vine!

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madeira Honeymoon

I think it's a very good idea to split your stay and have a few days in Belmonds Reid's Palace.

Reply to: Madeira Honeymoon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted