We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whar are your other favourite holiday destinations?

Reigate, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Whar are your other favourite holiday destinations?

We visited Funchal twice last year(first ever time in April and again at Xmas) and already booked for August. Just love it. We visit Peurto Pollensa every year and going in June. Probably our 15th time there.

Looking to book somewhere new for end of September so thought I would ask people who love Funchal what other places they like. I'm always worried about going somewhere new incase I wish I just stuck to my regular places. Thinking of Corfu but never been. In fact only been to Greece once in 1991, Zante, awful. Put off Greece ever since but always hearing nice things. Would just like some sunshine, relax, nice town, and preferably beach front property. Hotel or self catering. Would love to hear suggestions.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
54 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Whar are your other favourite holiday destinations?

the Baglioni is smooth you will emjoy

only beaten by The Gritti and Danieli

nest wishes for 50th

regmaiche

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Whar are your other favourite holiday destinations?

Visit funchal every Sept (11 or 12 years now)

But, June we have a weekend in Menton (French with an Italian twist)

Edited: 14 January 2018, 03:36
UK
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Whar are your other favourite holiday destinations?

I like Menton immensely. I am no geographer = in fact for School Cert Matric I got 10%

I believe the mountains give Menton a mini climate,

and to plagiarise it is not like Nice a sunny place for shady people.

best regmaiche

southport
Level Contributor
880 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Whar are your other favourite holiday destinations?

"The Small Village Of The Knights" know it very well Jamie, some great church's and castles to see around there.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Whar are your other favourite holiday destinations?

It is steeped in history alchermist; and as you say some lovely churches.

england
Level Contributor
6,428 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Whar are your other favourite holiday destinations?

Last year we went to kefalonia (or cephalona if you prefer). This is a pretty island, without the same number of tours as Madeira but with some winding rooms that can be a little taxing for drivers. The food is generally pretty good, the wine considerably cheaper than Funchal and if only the Greeks would do something about their plumbing it would be even more popular than it is now. You might enjoy it. This is just one of the many little villages https://www.google.co.uk/destination…

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Exmoor National...
Level Contributor
309 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Whar are your other favourite holiday destinations?

Some of my other favourites are:

The Azores. There's nowhere as big as Funchal, even Ponta Delgada on Sao Miguel is probably similar sized to Reigate! My best trip was 10 days in the 'triangle' (Faial, Pico and Sao Jorge). Horta on Faial is small but has a nice, busy atmosphere.

Sorrento and area (Amalfi is another possibility in the area). Very relaxing, welcoming, good strolling, lots to see, ferry to Capri etc.

Dubrovnik. Very 'livable' as well as interesting, and easy to travel around by bus and ferry.

Nafplio (Greece). Quite popular as a resort but still very attractive; I was only there 4 days and might have opted for car hire if longer.

Northern Tenerife. The obvious resort is Puerto de la Cruz, though (with a car) I've stayed in Garachico which is smaller and quieter. Very different from the south.

Mallorca also, but only 4 times - Pollensa, Soller, Llubi and Banyalbufar!

Mentioned in this post
Azores
Azores
Portugal
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Ponta Delgada
Ponta Delgada
Sao Miguel, Portugal
Sao Miguel
Sao Miguel
Azores, Portugal
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Puerto de la Cruz
Puerto de la Cruz
Tenerife, Spain
Soller
Soller
Majorca, Spain
Hamilton
Level Contributor
501 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Whar are your other favourite holiday destinations?

Yes Dubrovnik is a great holiday destination with plenty of history. Stayed nearby in Cavtat lovely location with a wonderful marina full with Oligarch yachts, amazing.

Edited: 19 January 2018, 07:04
Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Whar are your other favourite holiday destinations?

I am loving this thread and can’t believe how many places mentioned I have either been to or is on my ‘to go’ list.

Have wanted to go to the Azores for ages and also the Sorrento area.

A place worth a mention is Vis (a Croatian island of Split) and really enjoyed it their when we went a couple of years ago.

Mentioned in this post
Azores
Azores
Portugal
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
283 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Whar are your other favourite holiday destinations?

It’s really. A bit difficult to compare Madeira with other destinations. Madeira’s big draw is that, along with the Canary Islands is that it is warm in winter and a short haul flight away. It therefore, along with the Canaries, ialways on my short list for a winter break.

Come the summer months a short haul flight gives you access to the whole of Europe, one of the most varied continents on the planet. With everywhere from Norway to the Greek Isalands and from Provence to Sicily. So many interesting places to visit elsewhere that I would not choose Madeira in the summer.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Europe
Europe
World
Reply to: Whar are your other favourite holiday destinations?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted