We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thessaloniki

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Thessaloniki

We are flying inti Thessaloniki, with kids for a very short 3 day Greek holiday. Aiming to stay 1 or 2 nghts in Kassandra, Haldkidiki and driving to Meteora.

But I would have liked seeing some historical buildings and wondered if someone could give suggestions on our itinerary pls, I would have preferred Athens but couldnt afford flight tickets!

Mentioned in this post
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki Region, Greece
Kassandra
Kassandra
Halkidiki Region, Greece
Meteora
Meteora
4,206 Reviews
Kastraki, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
8 replies to this topic
1. Re: Thessaloniki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 June 2018, 16:35

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,588 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thessaloniki

G-T you already have bumped up this thread by your own response. Doh!

Halkidiki is east of the city, Meteora to the west so it is going to involve shuttling around in a hire car to fit everything into 3 days. Is it 3 days/4 nights or just 3 nights? Makes a difference. And you will not need a car to explore the city, where you will find historic buildings.

Mentioned in this post
Halkidiki Region
Halkidiki Region
Central Macedonia, Greece
Meteora
Meteora
4,206 Reviews
Kastraki, Greece
3. Re: Thessaloniki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 June 2018, 16:44

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,236 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thessaloniki

I agree, actual timings would help as this is not easy in a short time.

Halkidiki is probably the bit to miss out if Meteora is a must & Thessaloniki will certainly fulfill the history part.

If halkidiki was being included for beach time then I would drive south of Thessaloniki & stay a night on the coast west of Meteora, then go to Meteora via Larissa & Trikala, or vice versa.

If you have time (this is where exact timings/days of arrival & departure matter) you could ten get back to Thessaloniki for a brief time.

Mentioned in this post
Halkidiki Region
Halkidiki Region
Central Macedonia, Greece
Meteora
Meteora
4,206 Reviews
Kastraki, Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki Region, Greece
Trikala
Trikala
Trikala Region, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,236 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thessaloniki

Oops, I meant on the coast EAST of Meteora :)

Mentioned in this post
Meteora
Meteora
4,206 Reviews
Kastraki, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thessaloniki

Thanks both for your response, we have only 3 days at our disposal, infact flying back late on the 3rd day. Kids prefer sandy beaches, I would like some historical places though. I know being too ambitious here

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,588 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thessaloniki

I would forget Meteora. Probably boooooring for kids who want beach.

Mentioned in this post
Meteora
Meteora
4,206 Reviews
Kastraki, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Thessaloniki

Thanks - whats Kassandra like? Clear waters?

Mentioned in this post
Kassandra
Kassandra
Halkidiki Region, Greece
Reply to: Thessaloniki
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted