We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Delphi to Meteora and back by public transit

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Athens to Delphi to Meteora and back by public transit

Hi,

I'm travelling to Athens and would like to see Delphi and Meteora. I'll be leaving Athens in the morning on the 13th of June 2018 to hopefully arrive at my hotel in Kalabaka on the same day. I'd like to go from Athens to Delphi and spend some time there, then go from Delphi to Kalabaka. Otherwise, the other option is to go straight to Kalabaka from Athens, then on my way back to Athens on the 15th of June 2018, drop by Delphi on the way to visit.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to make this trip without a car? I’m hoping that there are convenient public transits such as bus or train that can help me do this trip. I read some sources that there was a bus, but I couldn’t find the bus name/number, where to take it, nor its schedule. Also, on my way back from Kalabaka directly to Athens, if anyone could give me tips on how to make this trip as convenient as possible, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
Meteora
Meteora
4,304 Reviews
Kastraki, Greece
3 replies to this topic
Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Delphi to Meteora and back by public transit

The trip from Athens to Kalambaka will take around 5 hours and can be done using bus or train. Athens to Delphi is about 3 hrs 15 minutes by bus. Unfortunately Delphi is not really on the way to Kalambaka, so if you want to go there via Delphi (or the other way round) it will take you around 7-8 hours by bus. Assuming that you will want to explore the archaeological site when you get there, and probably have some lunch, you will see that this is quite a challenging day's travel!

I don't have the timetable links to hand at the moment, but if I haven't managed to put you off the idea, I can post them.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 15:17
Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Kalambaka
Kalambaka
Trikala Region, Greece
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Delphi to Meteora and back by public transit

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm still interested in going to Delphi. If you can post the timetable links I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Delphi to Meteora and back by public transit

Here we go: www.ktel-trikala.gr/…