We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Greece

5 posts
Save Topic
Where to go in Greece

8 Jun 2018, 20:16

Looking to go to Greece next year which will be my first time. Travelling with partner and my little girl will be 2 by the time we go. I’m looking firstly for suggestions on where in Greece to go, Zante has been quite appealing so for but open to other destinations. Also need to know of good hotels to stay in with amenities such as pool, close to beach, restaurants, bars etc.

I don’t want to be anywhere in party central but not too quiet either, somewhere suitable for a family. Somewhere with a beautiful beach close by.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Zante
Zante
62 Reviews
Zakynthos, Greece
Anastasis Apartments
Anastasis Apartments
#1 of 50 hotels in Imerovigli
Achtis Hotel
Achtis Hotel
#1 of 10 hotels in Afitos
Rocabella Mykonos Hotel & SPA
Rocabella Mykonos Hotel & SPA
#1 of 9 hotels in Agios Stefanos
11 replies to this topic
Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Greece

Hi Laney. You could help narrow destinations down a bit by first of all looking at which airports are easily accessible from your local airport and, with a 2 year old to consider, take into account the flight departure/return times (daytime would be best I imagine). If you are looking at packages, lots of the tour operators have 2019 holidays on sale now, so that information should be readily available. Also, it would help to know if you are looking for self catering or half board. The former would give you much more flexibility with meal times etc. I am sure that you realise the further you travel south in Greece, the hotter it will be. Might help to determine roughly which month you’ll be travelling, which would also affect any recommendations. Sorry if this sounds more like hindrance than help, but so many resorts fit your requirements. Feel sure you’ll get some recommendations anyway!! Good luck with your search. 😊😊

Edited: 09 June 2018, 11:48
Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Greece

Hi, thanks for your reply. Ideally I would be looking at Half Board and was thinking September time (making use of going out of the kids holidays while she is young enough). Not too bothered about flight times etc for now as I can cross this later on when I come to book, I just want the research for now. Hope this helps. Thanks

swindon,england
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Greece

To give you something to go on with here's a handful of places that are popular with families and would suit your needs.

Tsilivi-Zante.

Stalis-Crete.

Pefkos-Rhodes.

Sidari-Corfu.

Just bear in mind that the later in September you travel the more the weather can be quite changeable,early September is usually still perfect without it being stifling.

Do also consider going self catering or b&b as dining out in Greece is the highlight of many peoples holidays and is relatively cheap.

Mentioned in this post
Tsilivi
Tsilivi
Zakynthos, Greece
Zante
Zante
62 Reviews
Zakynthos, Greece
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Pefkos
Pefkos
Rhodes, Greece
Sidari
Sidari
Corfu, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Greece

Perfect thanks so much it gives me something to start with. Oh great would definitely consider bed and breakfast. I know it’s a silly question and it all depends on how much you spend but on average how much money would be suitable for a one week or a two week holiday? When I say on average I mean to cover food (if we were to go b&b), drinks and maybe a few bits to do with the little one. Just a rough idea would give me something to go on. Thanks

swindon,england
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Greece

As a couple we usually budget for around a €100.00 a day and that's allowing to eat out all 3 meals,a decent drink in the evening and a couple of excursions and other day to day expenses.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in Greece

Those are great recommendations from scaffolder and a good starting point. I wholly agree with comments re the self catering option. Eating out of an evening is such a treat in Greece and though prices have risen a little (have just returned from Pefkos), it is still excellent value for money. You will find far more accommodation options self catering too. When my son was young, we had breakfast and snacks in, with a meal out in the evening. B & B is good also, just make sure there is a fridge in the room, as that option doesn’t necessarily mean you will get a kitchenette included. I would also add Skala - Kefalonia and Tingaki - Kos to have a look at. YouTube has footage on all these places, and resort maps are available on line. Happy researching!! 😊😊

Edited: 09 June 2018, 15:28
Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Pefkos
Pefkos
Rhodes, Greece
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
swindon,england
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go in Greece

Another thing worth bearing in mind,especially with a 2 year old to keep happy is the transfer time/distance from the airport,Tsilivi would be the closest followed by Stalis,Pefkos and then Sidari.

It's also worth booking a taxi if you do want to cut down on the transfer time,as although a package will probably include transfers they can add an awful lot of time on after dropping at various accommodations en-route.

Mentioned in this post
Tsilivi
Tsilivi
Zakynthos, Greece
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Pefkos
Pefkos
Rhodes, Greece
Sidari
Sidari
Corfu, Greece
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go in Greece

Thanks all for your advice it’s brill to have all this knowledge to go away with and do some research. Our usual holiday is Tenerife which we have been back and forth to for many years now and always do it separately as opposed to a package deal so certainly open to booking is separately if it works out better in terms of accommodation. Just feel ready to explore another county for a change as Iv been told that Greece is always a favourite for a lot of people I know! Thanks all. And if there’s any other info you feel is valuable to know I’d be glad to hear from you on here. Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Greece
Greece
Europe
swindon,england
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go in Greece

We have often took the independent option as it can work out cheaper and also gives us flexibility in booking the accommodation we want and preferable flight times that suit,if you do go this route then do be prepared for an early session at your computer for when the flights are first released as even a few minutes can greatly make a difference price wise.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go in Greece

Once you’ve narrowed things down a bit, you can also use Google Earth to take a look at the location of the accommodation you are considering in relation to proximity to beach, local amenities, etc. Has saved the day for me many a time. Just watch out for elevated locations too, plus lots of steps to manage sometimes. I think you have enough to keep you busy for a while!! Good luck and re-post if you need help later on. 😊😊

Reply to: Where to go in Greece
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted