We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crete or Kefalonia? Plus itinerary advice!

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Crete or Kefalonia? Plus itinerary advice!

Hi,

My friend and I are travelling to Greece in July and we have planned the following itinerary:

3 nights in Athens

4 nights in Crete or Kefalonia

5 nights in Santorini

2 nights in Mykonos

5/6 nights in Paros ( day trips to other islands)

I would love to hear any recommendations about Crete or Kefalonia! I would love to go to Kefalonia however I am aware of the travel to the other side of Greece for a few nights - do you think this is worth it or would we be better off going to Crete?

If anyone could recommend pros or cons for each location too that would be great!

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!! Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
1 reply
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,592 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crete or Kefalonia? Plus itinerary advice!

Hi,

Let me start but note it is 15 years since I visited Crete:-

Crete:- huge island, impressive Roman and other ruins, interesting villages and towns with old houses and twisty streets and lanes,

Kefalonia:- quite large, lots of ruins (all free to visit) but most not spectacularly large, a huge earthquake in 1953 means that , except for a few villages, all buildings are post 1950s. and village streets laid out to accommodate cars. Very green island.

Both islands have good beaches, some with watersports and tavernas whereas others are deserted.

Hope this is a start.

Bob

PS getting to Kefalonia takes most of a day in going by air-conditioned bus and ferry or 45 minutes if you fly.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Reply to: Crete or Kefalonia? Plus itinerary advice!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;