We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistical nightmare help: meeting up at Piraeus

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Logistical nightmare help: meeting up at Piraeus

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I have somewhat of a logistical nightmare on our hands. In about two weeks, I will be arriving in Athens on Saturday and staying the night. On Sunday, my girlfriend is flying in and is scheduled to land at ATH around 09:20 (direct flight from Toronto.) We're hoping that we'll be able to take the 12:00 ferry to Milos. Here are the issues:

1. She's not sure she'll be able to get a Greek SIM card for her phone, so we might not be able to communicate once she lands. This could be a major issue for trying to meet up at the port and coordinate whether or not she's going to make it in time. I'll be stopping in at a Cosmote store and getting one for myself, but that doesn't do her much good obviously.

2. We're not sure if she'll have time to get from the airport to the Piraeus in time to catch the 12:00 ferry.

3. We don't know how far in advance we should be to the port in order to make sure the 12:00 ferry isn't sold out.

Does anyone have any advice on how to do this? Suggestions would be very much appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,266 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Logistical nightmare help: meeting up at Piraeus

Your priority is communication. First of all you can keep your eye on Athens airport arrivals online so you have an idea of whether she is expected on time.

When she lands she can call you via messenger, Viber or whatever as there is free WiFi at the airport.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
2. Re: Logistical nightmare help: meeting up at Piraeus

Is the WiFi at the airport reliable enough to handle that? I ask because the WiFi at some airports I've been to tends to be super shaky, and also makes you jump through a bunch of hoops to get connected -- it takes a good bit of time sometimes, and we won't have a ton of time if we want to make it onto the ferry.

I guess I'm not sure if I should be catching the bus to the airport and then meeting her there, or if I should be heading to the port and trying to figure out the ferry situation (ie. buying tickets before it sells out.) How long beforehand should I be buying tickets? I'm just a bit concerned about possibly buying tickets a day in advance or something and then having her plane be delayed, or her transportation to the port take too long and we miss the ferry.

An additional consideration is that I will have two suitcases and a carry-on with me, so I'm not too keen about arriving at the port super early because I'll need to be hauling my bags around for hours then.

The other thought I had was to take a bus back to the airport and meet her there, and then take a bus or taxi down to the port. If I were to do this, I suppose I'd probably need to gamble any buy the tickets in advance.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 11:25
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,266 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: Logistical nightmare help: meeting up at Piraeus

This is tight for the 12 o’clock ferry anyway, without the meeting up issues. I just reread your post & realized it’s a direct flight from Toronto, so she won’t have gone through immigration in another European country, so will have to do so at Athens airport. It doesn’t usually take long to come through, but a bit of a delay, other flights arriving at the same time, could add minutes to the timing overall.

Maybe the best solution is to plan on a later ferry, go to meet her, you will then be more relaxed about getting to Piraeus. If all goes really well you will see at the time if you could make it for the ferry at 12, which would be great. You can board up until a few minutes before, but of course need to allow time to get tickets.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14,012 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Logistical nightmare help: meeting up at Piraeus

I would just change islands, Paros or Naxos looks a good choice with big ferries at 13:00 and 17:30.

All that means is reversing your route assuming it's the same as your other post.

Flexibility works wonders when island hopping.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
5. Re: Logistical nightmare help: meeting up at Piraeus

Thanks Yiassas,

I think that's probably a good way to think about it - if we miss the ferry at noon there is another at 4, so it isn't like the day is blown, but we would prefer to be to Milos earlier rather than later.

Follow up question: do you think there's risk of the ferry selling out if we're rolling into port shortly before departure?

As far as the change islands idea, we already have bookings, so no can do.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 19:56
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
6. Re: Logistical nightmare help: meeting up at Piraeus

Some additional info -- our two ferry choices are as follows:

----------------------------------

To: MILOS , Island, KYKLADES

Departure: 12:00

Arrival: 16:20

Company: Aegean Speed Lines (H.Q.) (ES)

Ship: SPEEDRUNNER 3 (SPT)

Ship Type: Catamaran - Car ferry (cc)

Stops: 2

Route: 45

---------------------------------

To: MILOS , Island, KYKLADES

Departure: 16:15

Arrival: 19:50

Company: Seajets (IJ)

Ship: SUPERJET (SJT)

Ship Type: Catamaran (Passenger only) (cm)

Stops: 2

Route: 4432

---------------------------------------

Is one of these two boats significantly better than the other? That might influence our decision about how strongly we feel about making the earlier one.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 03:51
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14,012 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Logistical nightmare help: meeting up at Piraeus

That, in part, was my point about ultimate flexibility. The Superjet, I simply would not take Piraeus to Milos at all, on a rough day a nightmare, even for 45 minutes never mind almost 4 hours.

I have travelled up/down the Western Cyclades islands many times before. On every occasion dodging the Superjet/Seajet 2.

The Speedrunner 3 is a much better ferry to travel on, much larger and you are not sealed in a tin can.

Basically you are between the devil and the deep blue sea.

I just hope it is a nice calm day for you.

Reply to: Logistical nightmare help: meeting up at Piraeus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted