We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alpha ATM vs Eurobank ATM.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
Alpha ATM vs Eurobank ATM.

I am in Greece right now and thought I would bring your attention to what I consider quite a substantial difference between these two banks. First of all, I am selecting the Euro currency to be exchanged and not Australian dollars.

When I withdraw 590 Euro the cost with Alpha has been $928 and $909. When I use Eurobank, I am hit with $985 and $986.

Can anyone give me the heads up on this, please? I was under the impression that Eurobank was an okay bank to use.

I have a Citibank plus card, which otherwise has no international ATM fees, no fees for international transfers and is giving me a better exchange rate on card purchases than I can get anywhere. I tested the card out in Bali at Christmas and it was the same there - brilliant.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Bali
Bali
Crete, Greece
4 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Alpha ATM vs Eurobank ATM.

Citibank had branches in Greece.

If I remember well in 2016 Citibank sold the Greek Citibank branches to Alpha-bank and all Citibank accounts, credit/debit cards and ATMs become Alpha-bank accounts.

Maybe Alpha-bank has a kind of special relationship with Citibank since then (as they serve all former Citibank clients in Greece).

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,540 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alpha ATM vs Eurobank ATM.

When exactly did you do these transactions? Over the last week or so the value of the euro was fluctuating quite a bit, I know because I watch it daily for doing my own exchange. A week ago I would have got more euros for my money then I would today :(

I’ve never noticed anything different about Eurobank otherwise, both should give you the MasterCard/Visa rate at the time of the transaction.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alpha ATM vs Eurobank ATM.

All four transactions over the last 3 weeks. First was Alpha, next 2 Eurobank, then 3 days ago Alpha.

Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alpha ATM vs Eurobank ATM.

Exchange rates fluctuate...

Reply to: Alpha ATM vs Eurobank ATM.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted