We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek Isles

Central Valley, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Greek Isles

My husband and I want to tour the Greek Isle but a cruise ship does not seem to give more than a day in each stop. We are thinking two days per destination would be better. How hard is it to travel between islands? To use public transportation on each island? Or should we try to find those "yacht" tours rather than do it ourselves? We are in our 60's, healthy and adventurous who love the sample new cuisine, walk among historical sights, experience the outdoors.

2 replies to this topic
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek Isles

There are sites where you can see whether there are ferries between the islands you choose, and to see how long ferries take.

https://www.directferries.co.uk/…

Whether to pre-book ferries is down to personal choice and also whether you are travelling at busy times. Be prepared for possible ferry cancellations/strikes etc - so consider this if booking pre-paid, non-refundable accomodation.

If booking online, always book the ferries directly with the ferry company itself, not a 3rd party to avoid extra costs. Also be aware that many ferries require you to enter/exit by the bumpy cargo ramp, carrying your case on the ramp, and leaving the case on racks in the cargo deck. You then go upstairs to the passenger decks for your journey.

You could also look into internal flights too.

Try to keep to a single "group" of islands (eg Cyclades, Ionian etc) or you may transfers impossible unless you go back to Athens.

How long to spend on each island depends on how many you want to see and how much time you have. Personally I don't think 2 days is enough on each island, you'll lose time travelling and packing/unpacking/checking in/out.

Most islands have a pretty decent bus service - investigate before committing, so you can decide if car hire is better for you on each island.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Central Valley, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek Isles

Thank you...good things to further investigate and consider! I'll be back with more questions once I have researched more. Thanks.

Reply to: Greek Isles
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted