We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please Athens to Mykonos Jan 4th 2018?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
188 posts
Help please Athens to Mykonos Jan 4th 2018?

Hello,

Please I need help to find best way to get from Athens to Mykonos?

Would prefer to fly but will consider fast ferry.

Thank you in advance for expert advice, suggestions Etc!

Ellie

11 replies to this topic
bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
1. Re: Help please Athens to Mykonos Jan 4th 2018?

Aegean has a morning and evening direct flight from Athens on the 4th. Check their website; there is an early morning ferry from Piraeus and late afternoon boat from Rafins. Greek Travel Pages will give the information.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
188 posts
2. Re: Help please Athens to Mykonos Jan 4th 2018?

We are staying at hotel near Plaka area;

What is closer and easier?

The airport? The ferry? Or the boat?

Or morning Fast ferry from Piraeus?

How long does ferry take from Athens

to Mykonos?

Where is Rafins and how long does late afternoon boat take to arrive In Mykonos?

Which is fastest?

Which is cheapest?

Sorry for all questions but need help please!

Thank you kindly in advance for any and all information you can provide. Regards,Ellie

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
3. Re: Help please Athens to Mykonos Jan 4th 2018?

Rafina is a 40 minute bus ride from the airport. All the information you need is on the websites I mentioned.

I would fly with Aegean/Olympic, less than an hour .

You can travel by metro or the X95 bus from central Athens. There is fixed flat rate taxi fare from Central Athens to the airport which would be the most convenient.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Help please Athens to Mykonos Jan 4th 2018?

Also take the weather under serious consideration, especially if you have to catch a flight to return to your country. During winter it often gets windy on the islands causing ferry schedule changes, delays and even cancellations. So if you just want to go to Mykonos for a day or two (it’s going to be empty anyway and all the places will be closed) you may want to reconsider and go somewhere else in the mainland (eg. Nafplio, Delphi or Meteora).

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
323 posts
5. Re: Help please Athens to Mykonos Jan 4th 2018?

First of all do you REALLY want to go to Myconos during January?

It will be totally deserted and very windy/wet/cold.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,962 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Help please Athens to Mykonos Jan 4th 2018?

I would reconsider a trip to Mykonos in January, for all the reasons Absolute Athens has given you. It is a tourist island, so it will be shut down and probably dismal in midwinter: it's not a good time to go.

If you need to be there for some special reason, flying is a quicker means of travel, but planes, like ferries, are liable to cancellation in bad weather, so if you go, make sure you get yourself back onto the mainland at least one day before your flight home.

If you want to visit an island from Athens, consider Aegina. It's a lovely island with lots to see and enjoy, a short ferry journey from Athens, and it has a year-round population, so if you want to go for more than a day trip there will be places to stay and places to eat.

Edited: 14 December 2017, 15:25
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,877 posts
7. Re: Help please Athens to Mykonos Jan 4th 2018?

If the above posts haven't convinced you, have a look at this 10 minute YouTube taken on Mykonos in the month of February: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ6G2tASMH0

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
188 posts
8. Re: Help please Athens to Mykonos Jan 4th 2018?

Ok I'm convinced that Mykonos is not where I want to be in January. Thank you all.

What about Santorini? Will it be closed up, shut down and dismal?

I need to plan from Jan 4 to Jan 9 open for your suggestions

then back to Athens Jan 10 & 11 to catch my early 5-am flight back

home on Jan 12th. from Athens airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,962 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Help please Athens to Mykonos Jan 4th 2018?

Santorini continues to attract some tourists even in winter, so it won't be quite as shut down and dismal as Mykonos. But probably almost.

Consider Crete. It's the southernmost tip of Europe, so the furthest south of all the islands, and therefore more likely to have some good weather in January, which often brings a spell of warm, sunny weather called the Halcyon Days, which you may coincide with. If you do, you could rent a car and go exploring some of Crete's magnificent landscape. Or you can use the excellent public bus system, though the timetable is a bit restricted in winter except along the main north coast route.

Crete has three major cities. They're all working towns with year-round populations (and universities) so there will be plenty of accommodation, plenty to eat, and most important, plenty of people and plenty of life. Heraklion, Rethymnon, and Chania are your choices. Heraklion is the largest, Rethymnon the smallest, Chania the most beautiful. Rethymnon and Chania both have Venetian harbours and old towns which are interesting to explore; Heraklion has the world class Archaeological Museum, Knossos nearby, and some magnificent Venetian structures.

They would all be great bases for your five days. Do some googling on the three, and see what you think; and once you've got a rough plan, visit the Crete forum with questions.

You can fly from Athens to Heraklion, so once you've decided where to stay, choose your airport accordingly.

Edited: 15 December 2017, 05:04
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Help please Athens to Mykonos Jan 4th 2018?

Good advice from Alabastron. I vote for Crete too, a great destination all year round. Flights from Athens are very frequent and you can get your return ticket for around 120€.

Reply to: Help please Athens to Mykonos Jan 4th 2018?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted