We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Greece in early September

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
218 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Greece in early September

I am planning to visit Greece for 7 nights in the first week of September, arriving on Sunday night from Los Angeles and leaving the following Sunday morning. I wish I could spend more time, but unfortunately that is all the time I have due to work schedule.

I have not booked anything yet because I don't know how to organize the itinerary yet. I would like to get some suggestions from this great forum.

Here are the things I am planning to do:

1. Visiting Athens to see most of the ancient sites. How many nights should I spend in Athens?

2. Doing a day trip to another city to see more ancient sites. What city is recommend for a day trip from Athens?

3. Visiting Santorini island and stay one night there. Should I fly back to Los Angeles from Santorini or from Athens?

Any suggestions is highly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
4-Day Classical Greece Tour...
402 Reviews
from US$617.00*
Special Offer
Delphi Day Trip from Athens
1,015 Reviews
from US$85.08*
US$101.30
Hydra, Poros and Egina Day Cruise...
832 Reviews
from US$116.40*
10 replies to this topic
Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
3,097 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Greece in early September

for the day trip I would go to delphi..if you really wanted to see santorini I would stay two nights at least..I would also be back in athens the day before my flight back home

if you went straight to santorini first..spend two or three nights..then spent the last four nights in athens that would probaly be even better

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Greece in early September

3.All flights to LA depart from Athens.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Greece in early September

From LA go straight to Santorini and spend 3 nights. Then fly or ferry to Athens and spend 4 nights. Do a day trip to Delphi and perhaps another one to the ancient theatre of Epidaurus. Oh and maybe a visit to Cape Sounio. Fly back home from Athens.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
Sounio
Sounio
East Attica Region, Greece
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,549 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Greece in early September

I am pretty sure there are no direct flights from North America to Santorini , the connection will be in Athens

From Athens catch the first connecting flight to Santorini you will need at least two hours for the connection. It is always best to get over jet lag on an Island rather than Athens. Santorini needs at least two nights possibly 3.

Then fly back to Athens for the end of your trip. Athens can be nicely done in 3 days which leaves you a day for a tour to Delphi.

If you decide not to do Santorini then take the bus to Nafplio immediately upon arrival in Athens. It might be the prettiest city in Greece and is a perfect place to get over jet lag. It needs three days then you can get back to athens for your visit.

Nafplio and Peloponnese flickr.com/photos/…

Santorini flickr.com/photos/…

Athens flickr.com/photos/…

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
Nafplio
Nafplio
Argolis Region, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Greece in early September

Shortest flight from LA to Santorini seems to be Lufthansa with 1 hour layover in Munich. I wonder if it’s actually doable.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
concord nh
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to Greece in early September

Athens deserves at least 3 days to fully experience what the city is all about. It has world-class archeological sites and museums, not to mention the Plaka, Monistiraki/Syntagma Squares, Anafiotika, Psiri District and just wandering around a wonderful city.

Just wondering why you picked Santorini to visit. There are numerous Greek Islands that don't get the over-the-top tourism of Santorini and may provide you with a more "Greek" Experience. Even if you go to Santorini it's not worth the effort of just one night.

As suggested Nafplio is probably your best option for a quick bus/car rental ride to see one of Greece's loveliest towns and a great place to base yourself to see even more world-class archeological sites.

If you are more into a day trip from Athens then a short ferry ride to the island of Aegina would be a great choice. It has everything one goes to a Greek island for: archeological/historic sites, lovely main town waterfront, ancient olive grove, abandoned Byzantine Village, one of the best preserved temple in all of Greece, and a short ferry ride from the mainland.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Plaka
Plaka
12,796 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Anafiotika
Anafiotika
1,013 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Psirri
Psirri
250 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Nafplio
Nafplio
Argolis Region, Greece
Aegina
Aegina
Saronic Gulf Islands, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
218 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip to Greece in early September

Thank you all for your great suggestions!

I have been searching for cheap flights and I found a good deal around $780 but I have not booked yet and if I choose that flight, I will have to fly on September 1 from LA to Athens and fly back home on Sept 12, which means spending more time than the original plan.

Will that be too much time to spend in Greece?

I was thinking of going to Istanbul for 3 nights and then going back to Athens.. Is that a good idea?

So here is the plan (I can skip Istanbul if you don't recommend it)

Sept 1 Saturday: Fly from LA to Athens

Sept 2 Sunday: Arrive Athens around 6PM

Sept 3 Monday: Full day in Athens

Sept 4 Tuesday: Full day in Athens

Sept 5 Wednesday: Day trip to Delphi

Sept 6 Thursday: Fly to Santorini in the morning 10AM

Sept 7 Friday: Full day in Santorini

Sept 8 Sat: Fly from Santorini to Istanbul. I am not sure if that is possible?

Sept 9 Sunday: Full day in Istanbul

Sept 10 Monday: Full day in Istanbul

Sept 11 Tuesday: Fly back to Athens

Sept 12 Wednesday: Fly back home

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Papillion, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a trip to Greece in early September

Take this for what it is worth. You have a few less days than we had but here is what we did.

Flew from US to Athens, then caught Aegean flight 3 hrs. later and went to Santorini for 4 nts.

Took ferry from Santorini to Naxos for 4 nts.

Flew Aegean from Naxos to Athens for 4 nts.

This was just the right amount of time for us to get a good feel for each place, not feel rushed, and see most things there is to see.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a trip to Greece in early September

I like post #8. Skip Turkey and do Naxos instead.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
concord nh
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a trip to Greece in early September

(12 days) Too much time to spend in Greece . . . there's no such thing!

That is a great price for a flight from Los Angeles to to Athens. Just wondering about the flight (number of layovers, length of layovers, which flight, etc.)

I would definitely skip Istanbul.

Do you know that it will take more time to get to and from Delphi than at the site? And it will be a very long day.

I would devout more time to another island by skipping Delphi and Istanbul. Some stated Naxos which would be a great choice. Just make sure whatever island you combine with Santorini can be reached by ferry from there.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
Naxos
Naxos