We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of counterfit 10 euro bills in Athens

Seattle
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of counterfit 10 euro bills in Athens

My wife was given a ten euro bill as part of the change from a purchase at a retail shop in Athens. Moments later when she tried to pay for another item (at a open air antique stall) the antiques vendor held the ten euro bill up to the sunlight and told us he would not accept it bbecause it was counterfeit. We then asked a nearby uniformed policeman/security guard if the bill was invalid. He, too, held it up to the bright sun and agreed that it was not a valid bill. When we confronted the shop vendor who had given us the bogus bill, she protested but eventually exchanged it for a ten euro bill which another vendor accepted.

My wife recalls that she thought it was odd that the offending vendor asked my wife during her initial visit to the shop to go downstairs-presumably away from direct sunlight-to receive the initial ten euro counterfeit bill. From this episode, we concluded that the bogus bill lacked a watermark (or equivalent) which can best be seen when brightly back lit.

While this was the only even slightly unsavory moment in a marvelous ten day trip to glorious Greece, we doubt this was an isolated incident because the local antiques vendor knew to check for the validity of the bill as if he had been through this process more than once. We recommend you get coins, not bills, from vendors if you transact in currency.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
2 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,272 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of counterfit 10 euro bills in Athens

It’s not just €10 notes, nor is it just Athens, there are counterfeit notes of all denominations all over Europe.

I suspect what happened was that the shopkeeper had taken one in, not paying attention, then tried to pass it on when they realized, so sorry it was your wife she picked on :(

Many shops, kiosks etc have either the machines they pass the notes through, or a kind of pen they use to check them, so most places wouldn’t take them in in the first place. It would be quite rare this would happen, so don’t think you’ve got to walk around with stacks of coins, but do have as many smaller notes as possible so you don’t need much change when you buy something.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Europe
Europe
World
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of counterfit 10 euro bills in Athens

Or simply do what the locals do and pay everything with your cc or dc.

Reply to: Beware of counterfit 10 euro bills in Athens
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted