We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Host arranges airport pickup?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
74 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Host arranges airport pickup?

Hello,

I am heading to Athens in a week, stay in Airbnb accommodation. My host offers to arrange airport transfer for me, 35 Euro from the Airport and 45 Euro to the Airport when we are leaving (very early morning). I am aware that the proposed prices are lower than the fixed rates but I didn't find anything on the forum for this practice. Sorry for the silly question but this is my first time in Athens: is it ok to accept the offer? I can't think of any risk but normally wherever we go, we just take a cab, just want to make sure it's ok for arranged pickup like this.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
6 replies to this topic
1. Re: Host arranges airport pickup?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 June 2018, 14:55
Edited: 10 June 2018, 14:55

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
74 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Host arranges airport pickup?

Thanks Eamon. I am staying near Acropolis. Sorry I didn't make it clear that there are 4 of us, and we planned to take airport taxi and the fixed taxi cost is 38 Euro and 50 Euro respectively. So the host offer is cheaper. Just wondering if there is any risk when I host arranges it. Sounds silly but our first time in Greece. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Acropolis
Acropolis
27,612 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
United States
Level Contributor
9,475 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Host arranges airport pickup?

I think that is very reasonable and I would take it....bus and metro is not the best idea after a very long flight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19,488 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Host arranges airport pickup?

We can't possibly answer your question about risk: we don't know your host, or what his motivation may be. Perhaps out of the goodness of his heart he is planning to drive you from the airport and back himself. Or perhaps he has a friend who has a dodgy business undercutting the licensed taxis. We have no idea what the possibilities might be. You'll have to make your own judgement of his trustworthiness based on your dealings with him so far.

FYI, the fixed rate between midnight and 5 am is €54, based on the time of arrival at the destination.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 05:13
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,588 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Host arranges airport pickup?

So between 4 of you there is a chance to save €12? It might be an honest offer or it might be an unlicenced driver who is not insured to carry passengers for gain. Your decision if €3 each is worth a risk. If you decide to decline the offer but worry about perhaps offending your host just say you will get the bus & ultimately if you arrive in a regular taxi just say it was a change of mind at the eleventh hour.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
74 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Host arranges airport pickup?

Thank you all for your comments. It's not much about saving, I just want to do the right thing for everyone involved. In my country, it's quite common to get the host arrange pickup for you, just not sure in Athens. Host seems very pleasant so far, not pushy at all but I also want to be fair to the registered taxi drivers.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Reply to: Host arranges airport pickup?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;