We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to airport for early morning flight.

CSquaredC2
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to airport for early morning flight.

I have a flight from Athens bound for one of the Greek islands at 5:30 a.m midweek. What time should I plan to get to the airport at that time of the morning? Since trains aren’t running that early, is a taxi the only option to the airport from the central Athens district? I looked up Uber and it says that you can order a taxi through their service. Is it okay to book taxi when I need it at that time of the morning or should I prebook?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
8 replies to this topic
Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to airport for early morning flight.

the airport bus runs 24/7..if you check in online you don't have to be there as early..check with the airline website as to check in times..if you take a taxi I would prebook

telematics.oasa.gr/en/#lineDetails_1025_Χ95%20:%20SYNTAGMA%20-%20AEROL.%20ATHINON%20(EXPRESS)_249-110

London, United...
Level Contributor
718 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to airport for early morning flight.

A taxi will cost you 54 euro before 5am in the morning. The X95 airport express bus will cost you 6 euro per person. The bus departs from the top right hand corner of Syndagma Square every 20 minutes or so. They are quick and reliable and have plenty of luggage space and will drop you right outside the departures doors. The bus journey at that time of the morning will take around 45 minutes. If you were to catch the bus at around 03.30 then you would be at the airport at around 04.15am.

Here is the timetable below:

athensairportbus.com/en/timetable/x95athenst…

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,912 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to airport for early morning flight.

You can see the Syntagma bus stop for the airport in this album:

http://tinyurl.com/2vwk6jz

CSquaredC2
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to airport for early morning flight.

Thanks! I have not been to Syntagma Square yet, was checking that out today. I think I was close when I went to Hadrian’s Arch. I’m staying on the other side of the hill in Thissio and it’ll make for a nice early morning walk to catch the bus! Thanks for the info.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to airport for early morning flight.

You will see the ticket booth by the bus stop, you can buy them in advance so it’s one less thing to do on that early morning. You just activate/validate them once you get on the bus by swiping across the WiFi symbol on the blue machines inside, the screen should go green & say successful & the machine will beep :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
19,513 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to airport for early morning flight.

It will be a longish walk from Thissio that early in the morning with luggage (presumably). Give your legs a rest and take a taxi to Syntagma for a few euros.

CSquaredC2
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to airport for early morning flight.

Thanks. Just to be sure, I have a 24 hour metro/bus pass, but that doesn’t work to the airport? I think it was Athens area.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
718 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to airport for early morning flight.

Is it the 4.50 euro 1 day ticket? No that won't be valid for a trip to or from the airport.

Reply to: Getting to airport for early morning flight.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted