We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus and Metro from Athens Airport to Hera Hotel 9 Falirou

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bus and Metro from Athens Airport to Hera Hotel 9 Falirou

I will be flying to Athens at the end of this month and looking at different transportation options to my hotel. I have read about more cost effective options like the bus or Metro. Can anyone provide to me a recommendation given that I don't speak Greek, I want an easy straightforward mode of transportation from the airport to my hotel that won't be too challenging given that I don't speak, read or write Greek. Also, can I anticipate that in many of the large tourist areas I will find many people who can speak English?

4 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus and Metro from Athens Airport to Hera Hotel 9 Falirou

All the signs are in English & most people speak it, certainly in tourist areas.

The absolute easiest is a taxi, set rate of €38 in the daytime (5am to midnight)

Bus to Syntagma Square (€6), then a taxi for a few euros, or metro for €10 to Syntagma, change line for one stop to acropoli station.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
925 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus and Metro from Athens Airport to Hera Hotel 9 Falirou

Hello, you will be fine. English is widely spoken in Athens and throughout Greece as a whole. All street signs are written in Greek and English. Announcements and station signs on public transport are in Greek and English.

Your cheaper options to get to the Hera Hotel are the metro from the airport to Syndagma. From there you can change to the red metro line 2 and go one stop to Akropoli and then walk or better option take a taxi at Syndagma to the hotel. It will cost around 4 or 5 euro for the taxi. The metro fare is 10 euro and the trip takes around 40 minutes. Please read up on the pickpocketing threads on here. It is an issue on the airport line especially so if you use the metro just secure any valuables and only carry enough cash in your pockets, purse,etc to pay for the metro ticket and taxi fare. Come out of the arrivals doors and walk straight ahead, up the stairs and then along the moving walkways to the metro ticket area. Validate the ticket at the barriers.

You can also take the X95 airport express bus to Syndagma. It terminates next to the metro stop and there will be taxis waiting right by the bus stop so you can take the short hop to the Hera. The bus costs just 6 euro each way. It is safe, reliable and there is plenty of luggage space. When you come out of the arrivals doors just turn right and walk along to the bus stops and the ticket kiosk. Validate the ticket on the blue card readers inside the bus. The journey will take around an hour depending on the time and traffic.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 22:04
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus and Metro from Athens Airport to Hera Hotel 9 Falirou

Thank you so much!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus and Metro from Athens Airport to Hera Hotel 9 Falirou

Eamon has given you great detailed advice. I strongly recommend that you take that X95 bus for your initial trip. Takes about the same time as Metro, when you factor in the add-ons (getting to platform, waiting for train etc). The bus goes about every 20 minutes by day. Your big bags are piled IN the bus in a central "pen." U don't have to stay jumpy the whole time for pickpockets, because not a prob on bus. Most of trip is boring, like all big cities, endless streets of Car dealerships etc - but fun to keep on alert for 1st glimpse of Acropolis. Then when bus gets to Syntagma Square it's end of line, so u don't have to rush-rush to exit. Get your big bag, and you step right out onto sidewalk & into a taxi. In a few days, you'll be fine with trying the Metro, but a bus is easier at the start.

Reply to: Bus and Metro from Athens Airport to Hera Hotel 9 Falirou
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted