We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please suggest Smoke Free hotels in Athens

calgary, alberta
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Please suggest Smoke Free hotels in Athens

My son has a respiratory condition that is irritated by smoke. I've heard mixed comments on smoking in Greece. Some say it has improved and there are more options for smoke free hotels and restaurants (and it's enforced more now than before). Is that true? Or am I being naive? Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
4 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
458 posts
462 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please suggest Smoke Free hotels in Athens

There is a smoking ban in Greece in indoor spaces but there are various levels of enforcement. With hotels, most are smoke free; just double check with the hotel when you book, there shouldn't be a problem. With restaurants, they don't smoke inside but do so with the outdoor seating and tables.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
London, United...
Level Contributor
20,198 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please suggest Smoke Free hotels in Athens

You'll probably be all right in the hotel: just make sure before you book that the hotel you choose really does have a total nonsmoking policy, in its rooms as well as in its public areas, and enforces it. It's not pleasant to be in a room that previous guests have smoked in.

It's restaurants that will be a problem. There are some that enforce a nonsmoking policy, but most allow smoking in their outdoor areas, and that can be nearly as treacherous as indoor smoking for someone with breathing problems. Here's an article that may be useful, and if you google "nonsmoking restaurants in Athens" you'll find others.

greece-is.com/athenian-hangouts-without-smok…

Edited: 13 June 2018, 15:37
Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please suggest Smoke Free hotels in Athens

this site does exactly this job..trying to monitor cafes-bars-restaurants that actually appply the law..it is still at its first stages,so obviously not includes all places that apply the law,but it is worth mentioning it,especially here in the forums where tourists ask for non-smoking places..

so when you are at your hotel (i assume you will have internet access) click here

https://www.akapnos.gr/en/

first choose the ''restaurants'' category..after giving permission to spot your location,set a search range of let's say 10 kms depending how far you want to go..then the restuarants that apply the law within that range will show up..usually their address is in greek but you can google map it to find exactly how to get there..all signs in greece are both in english and greek

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,198 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please suggest Smoke Free hotels in Athens

Thanks. I was looking for that link but couldn’t find it.

Reply to: Please suggest Smoke Free hotels in Athens
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted