We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATH airport metro tickets - quickest way to purchase

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
35 reviews
ATH airport metro tickets - quickest way to purchase

We arrive mid afternoon at Athens Intl Airport and will take metro to Monastiraki, walk to Attalos Hotel and drop off our suitcases (winter clothes so we can just have a duffel bag for the islands) as we stay here on our return to Athens. We will then take the metro to Piraeus and exchange our ferry vouchers for actual tickets before our sailing that night. We have enough time to make but not heaps of time. We like to visit Greece every couple of years so a plastic ATH.ENA card would be handy but not necessary for this trip as we want to do all of this as quickly as possible. I am not sure if the ATH.ENA ticket is a 90 minute ticket or not but not positive that we could do all of this in that time frame. Can you advise the best ticketing option for the following. But the priority is the quickest & easiest way to get tickets for airport/Monastiraki & Monastiraki/Piraeus as this is time sensitive:

- metro Athens Intl airport to Monastiraki (2people one way for euro18)

- metro Monastiraki to Piraeus same afternoon

- possible we may use bus to Archaeological Museum but we may walk

- Monastiraki to Athens Intl Airport 2 weeks later

I read some posts about an app Tfafa? and buying tickets in advance on your mobile phone but don't know anything about that one. Can you offer some advice for us? Thanks

4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: ATH airport metro tickets - quickest way to purchase

I always find it easy just buying my metro tickets from the ticket booth. Sometimes there is a small queue at Piraeus or Monastiraki, but only a couple of minutes waiting time maximum.. There are ticket machines, but I don't bother with these generally.

Edited: 17 August 2018, 18:30
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: ATH airport metro tickets - quickest way to purchase

I have bought our Airport/Athens Metro tickets from the ticket counter before (20minute wait despite only 3 people in front of us) but can I purchase a Monastiraki/Piraeus ticket at the same time but just scan (not sure current rules with the new changes as 2 years since our last visit) it as we enter Monastiraki station for that sector to Piraeus? This would save us the stuffing about at Monastiraki. We still have to go to the ANEK booth at E3 to exchange vouchers for actual tickets. Sure you will be familiar with this getmetothegreek.

Last time we had a tight schedule and we made it ok (1hour before Blue Star departure and had to exchange voucher for tickets but it was a rush as we had less time) but it was stressful worrying if we would make it. We have more time this time (catching Prevelis) and the less desirable alternative is that we just have to take the suitcases with us if there is a major problem.

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
3,170 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: ATH airport metro tickets - quickest way to purchase

athensairporttaxi.com/metro/athens-airport-m…

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
403 posts
4. Re: ATH airport metro tickets - quickest way to purchase

You simply go to a ticket machine and buy the tickets like all locals do

It won't take more than 30 seconds

The app does not work

Buy as many 90 minute tickets as you may need for all inner city routes

Bear in mind that a taxi will be cheaper than the metro if you are 3 persons and up,just use the beat app.

Edited: 18 August 2018, 05:52
Reply to: ATH airport metro tickets - quickest way to purchase
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted